DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a block-paved patio out back which is overrun with weeds coming up in between the bricks.

I've tried weedkiller, but they just grow back. I've tried uprooting them all by hand, but that seems to make the cracks bigger and therefore the weeds worse.

I guess I need to seal it, but as a novice at these things, don't know what sort of preparation I need to do first.

Is there a product I can use to get rid of the weeds in the first place?
Do i need to cement the cracks before sealing?
Does anyone have any recommendations for which product would be best for sealing?

These are probaly really simple things, but if anyone can help a novice, I'd be really grateful

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Weeds in cracks usuallycome from air borne weed seeds.

Did you use Round Up which will kill al vegitation? If you use this be very careful if there is any wind since it kills all green things including the roots.

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
did you try ROUND UP. that product works well. get the concentrated one where you mix it with water, and apply it with a hand pump sprayer @ $15.00. I us it on my patio and had great results. if a weed starts to grow I hit it with the sprayer and two days latter there dead. Good luck BOB

·
Don't know it all, yet!
915 Posts
TW

"RoundUp" and other weed killers do just that, they kill weeds. You need a soil sterilant, weed preventer, or pre-emergent. In other words, after you kill whatever is growing, you want to keep any more from sprouting. Warning, some/many soil sterilants will travel to the root zone of desirable plants that are close by so make sure you read the label on where you can use a particular product.

There are several products available. I would go for a soil sterilant. Sort of like a mean junkyard dog- anything that comes in,... The label will say something like "prevents weeds for up to a year", "season long", etc. Pre-emergents prevent seeds from germinating. They will work fine for say, crabgrass, etc. If you have bermuda or something that comes in by runners, then the sterilant would be a far better choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.