DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in reference to https://www.diychatroom.com/f19/digging-frozen-ground-651345/

I have two options how to bring the existing block wall up to required height(+2ft):

1. Adding more block on top. A bit more expensive, more labor involved,
2. Pouring concrete on top. Less expensive, less labor involved

Which option would be better to go with? The difference is negligible but concrete requires at least 1 day before framers can build on top of it. Also, the layer of the brick that will use as base has the holes filled with dirt. Would it make a big difference to have either cement poured into the holes too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't much work with block but I don't see a problem with either, to bad the blocks are full of dirt but crap happens, will you be water proofing the outside when done?
Yes, that's the plan but it will have to be in the spring as 5 ton excavator wasn't able to get any of the dirt out. One the clay softens i'll get a small excavator so it can fit in the garage and waterproof both sides. The back side was already done after concrete walls were poured.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
The concrete option your thinking about, needs to be protected from freezing for at least 48 hours, and be a 3500 psi mix, and preferably 4000psi as a cushion

·
Registered
742 Posts
Check a concrete cure table. Below 50 degrees it can take more than a month to get to 50% strength and begin to be safe to support a load. With either approach I would be sure to use rebar at the joint, though with a heavy loading as with an earthquake, I have seen 5/8 rebar snapped like twigs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check a concrete cure table. Below 50 degrees it can take more than a month to get to 50% strength and begin to be safe to support a load. With either approach I would be sure to use rebar at the joint, though with a heavy loading as with an earthquake, I have seen 5/8 rebar snapped like twigs.
I will definitely tarp the newly poured walls and try to run a heater overnight.
How would you place/secure rebars on joint? All holes on the block are filled with dirt. Best approach would probably be to remove row of the walls to get to blocks with open holes for rebar?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts