DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the repost. I should have posted this under Masonry the first time.

I'm building a block porch foundation in well drained soil. It will be about 4 courses. I want to add brick to the front exposed part of the foundation wall just under the slab. I have plenty of 8" block left over from a previous project. Instead of buying two courses of 10" block, I was wondering if I could do one course of 8", a course of 10" to use as the brick ledge, and then the remaining two courses in 8"? That would save me a course of 10" block. But, I don't want to be cheap if it will cause problems later.

All courses would be bonded and rebarred. I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work. Anyone ever try this?

Randy

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
A 2" brick ledge is not enough for a brick that is 3-5/" thick (normal 4" modular brick).

An alternate is to use an 8" block and a 4" block for the top course(s) of block sitting on the footing. This will provide a 3-5/8" wide ledge for the brick

Dick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know 2" wasn't much, but since this was mostly going to be below grade, I was thinking ground forces would keep it tight at the bottom and it would be tied at the top near the exposed 2 courses of the total 4. Anyway, that was my thinking.

I like the 4" block idea. But, is that enough support for a concrete slab?
4" would be cheaper and easier to transport. I probably could do the bottom 2 courses in 4" to support the brick next to the 8" block.

Someone suggested using 8" block cross ways for the second course. I have plenty of 8" block and wouldn't have to buy anything. It would also be balanced better. It seems like a good solution or is there something I'm missing?

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts