DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im putting in a cedar deck for someone and they want me to use the blind nailing method. Ive used the Trex version which was pretty good but whats out there for Cedar?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Steve

·
A door a day is all I ask
103 Posts
I don't know who makes it but I just saw a 2x6 deck installed with system
that conceals the fasteners. The owner said there is a metal strip attached
to each joist with spacers built in. You just screw through holes in the
brackets into the bottoms of the deck boards. The only place that didn't
work was when they got over to the last board...Had to face screw that one.

Sorry that I don't know a supplier.
RC/DG

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
There are a number of fastening devices for a concealed look. Do a Google search for "concealed deck fasteners".

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you doing this as a paying gig, or as a favor to a friend?
whats the difference?
I wouldnt want to screw over either. If theres a problem that you know or a better product please tell me.

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ron. I did that. But as you can tell I never did anything other than the Trex one. Just looking for experienced opinions. There are a few different ones but speed plus quality would be a plus.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Are you doing this as a paying gig, or as a favor to a friend?
whats the difference?
I wouldnt want to screw over either. If theres a problem that you know or a better product please tell me.

Thanks
The difference is that this is a rather rudimentary question, which is easily handled with a modicum of research. In actuality, any professional capable of building a deck, should be able to come up with the answers to using a concealed fastener system in about five minutes at your local lumber yard.

If you are a amateur doing this as a favor, this gap of knowledge is excusable. If this is a paying gig, and you are a so-called professional, you should do your customer a favor and decline the job. You are in over your head as a deck builder.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That KregTool one is different. Never saw that before. Depot has one where you would use a biscuit joiner with these plastic biscuits/spacers but I think I still like that first option.

No, its not a paying gig. Its a small 10X10 deck. Just want to do a good job and its not my first one but its my first one with blind nails thats not Trex. We're using 2X6 cedar.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Try Finehomebuilding #178 at the library. Good way to start. Many use biscuit joiners, the Eb-ty system being the most well known.

I don't kthink the Kreg will work on 2X material, and it does look a little slow and fussy.

I would also think twice about 2X cedar. 1X ipe, tigerwood or other SA material would be cheaper than 2X cedar, at least at my lumber yard.

Which is about 10 miles from a cedar mill here in Washington.

So I would think that anywhere other than SW BC and western Oregon, my lumber cedar is cheap.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate your opinion Anti but we're stuck on 2X6 cedar. Sometimes theres other things in control if you know what I mean. But if I was to order tomorrow I think we would go with the under deck screwing method. Looks solid. As far as the 2X's, I couldn't agree more. I think 5/4 would be more than enough especially since were framing at 16"O.C. but like I said, Im not calling the shots

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im putting in a cedar deck for someone and they want me to use the blind nailing method. Ive used the Trex version which was pretty good but whats out there for Cedar?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Steve
I imagine that you're past this by now, but I'll put up this info for someone who might need it. Shadoe Track makes a concealed fastening system that is a track that attaches to the top of the joist allowing fastening of the flooring from below. The tracks come in 4' lengths and another length that I haven't used. Their 4' Pre Pack comes with 20 tracks, screws and nails. Shadoe Track is the manufacturer 800.742.3632 - Pan American (in NC) is the distributer 800.951.2222 - Lowe's is a retailer but does not stock the item, it must be ordered. Take the above numbers to Lowe's and they can price and order it. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts