DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large (200 ft2) area that needs to be removed and repaved because of drainage problems. The blacktop is fairly new - 3 months old.
Here are my questions:
1. Should the edges of the "old" blacktop be heated with a propane torch before the repaving is done?
2. Should the edges of the "old" blacktop be treated with some sort of adhesive before the repaving is done?

Thanks, Justin

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm confused...you said you're removing it but your questions pertain to it remaining...

Are you removing 200sq.ft. of a much larger driveway? If so you can saw cut a nice joint and remove the section and then patch in the pavement and create a flush cold-joint. Cold joints will crack over time as water has a chance to penetrate.

If you are going to remove the smaller area and then infill flush with a base coat and then overcoat the whole driveway, then there is a liquid that gets applied between coats to help the asphalt adhere to the layer below. No torching is required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, I am removing 200ft2 of a very much larger driveway.
I am then going to have the 200ft2 section re-done (this is not an overcoat) with the proper drainage.
I understand what you said about the adhesive and heating not being required.

Concerning the new flush cold-joint: Will it help to seal the joint to prevent water from getting into the joint a month or 2 after the job is complete?

Thanks, Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts