DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was getting black specs in the hot water of my kitchen. I assumed it was sediment from our old water heater. The old heater had the flexible copper pipes.

Installed new water with ALL NEW connections (cut the copper pipes and installed new inlet valve and then flexible hoses with the braided stainless steel to the heater).

During the filling of the new tank, I got a lot of those black specs out of every faucet as I turned them on one by one.

10 days later, and I still see black specs in my hot water.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Are you on well or city water? Can you post some pics of your new hwh. Close up of top area and one of the whole hwh would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I was getting black specs in the hot water of my kitchen. I assumed it was sediment from our old water heater. The old heater had the flexible copper pipes.

Installed new water with ALL NEW connections (cut the copper pipes and installed new inlet valve and then flexible hoses with the braided stainless steel to the heater).

During the filling of the new tank, I got a lot of those black specs out of every faucet as I turned them on one by one.

10 days later, and I still see black specs in my hot water.

Any ideas?
Thank you!
Another possibility could be the new stainless steel flex connectors you installed. Some of those stainless steel flex connectors have rubber lining in them that can deteriorate/react with chemicals the city pumps into the municipal water system causing the problem you're having. Just a thought.

You mentioned the old hwh had copper flex connectors. Did you have a problem with these black specs with the old hwh? You can try removing the stainless steel and replace them with copper to see if that helps. Stay tuned, others with be along shortly with more advice/ideas for you. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the black specs with the old water heater and the flexible copper pipes.

My new installation now has the braided stainless steel with a rubber liner. The specs are not a new problem, but they are still there.

1. Can the rubber deteriorate that fast (in 1 week)?
2. If this is just remaining sediment from the old heater: Has anyone else experienced old sediment still in the pipes after installing a new water heater?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I had the black specs with the old water heater and the flexible copper pipes.

My new installation now has the braided stainless steel with a rubber liner. The specs are not a new problem, but they are still there.

1. Can the rubber deteriorate that fast (in 1 week)?
2. If this is just remaining sediment from the old heater: Has anyone else experienced old sediment still in the pipes after installing a new water heater?

Thank you!
Not likely, but it can over time. Just listed that as a posibility/idea. I prefer copper, just my personal preference. So your black spec problem is not new, it's an ongoing issue and you're only getting them on the hot water side.

Can you scoop some specs up and try to indentify it. Does it smear, smell, is it hard, etc. Can you put some on a white paper towel and post a pic. Thanks.

IMO, all the old sediment from your old hwh should be flushed out of your pipes by now. Try removing and cleaning all areators really good. Flush faucet water lines and see if that helps. Another posibility is sediment buildup in your pipes somewhere. How old and what kind of plumbing do you have? (pex, cpvc, copper, galvanized, etc). Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts