DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the old tiles from my bathroom (from 1973) and there is a very thin black residue on about 90% of the concrete. I'm going to put in ceramic tiles and need to know if I need to somehow remove this residue. It is almost like a stain, or something VERY thin. By the way, the old tiles were under some self-stick ones. While removing the self-stick tiles these other old tiles just lifted without any problem. I sure would appreciate any suggestions or information that could be shared about this.:)

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Install your new ceramic tile using "modified thinset tile mortar" suitable for use over "cutback adhesive", no big deal.:)

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Absolutely no problem, we've done it hundreds of tile. You should cut this black adhesive with a razor cutter, it's called a wallpaper scraper. Do not sand or use any chemical. You'll be OK when you can almost see the concrete. Use a good quality modified thin set that states it's OK over "cut-back" residue, as Bud said.

The scrapper looks like this; http://www.core-industrial.com/manage/gallery/tSCRAPERS (Small).jpg

Jaz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts