DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was finally able to get the black lacquer dining table to take a nice even coat. I am concerned now that that it will scratch with everyday use. I have read that using paste wax means it will need to be done frequently to maintain the protection and color. Its a rubbed out Sherwin Williams sheen. What's the best way to give it some additional scratch protection on the top? TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should have just done it with conversion varnish, NC lacquers are going to get marred on a table no matter what you do.
Well, whats done is done, so I am looking to do what I can now. I went with what Sherwin Williams told me to use.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, whats done is done, so I am looking to do what I can now. I went with what Sherwin Williams told me to use.
And what does SW say to 'fix' their end product? NC lacquer shouldn' be used on a table also I wouldn't ever use a wax as it complicates the recoat process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont need to fix, I am looking for preventative steps. After they recommended the lacquer, I had read that pre-cat lacquers were durable and often used on table furniture. I am just trying to make it as durable as possible if theres more I can do, as it isnt my table.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I dont need to fix, I am looking for preventative steps. After they recommended the lacquer, I had read that pre-cat lacquers were durable and often used on table furniture. I am just trying to make it as durable as possible if theres more I can do, as it isnt my table.
I think the best you could do is sand to create mechanical adhesion then use a oil urethane or varnish. To be quite frank NC/precat pigmented lacquer is just the wrong choice for a table despite what sherwin told you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with a little sanding that will adhere and be compatible on top of the black lacquer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts