DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased our first house, and the kitchen cabinets are a horrid bright cherry red stain color. They don't go with any other aspect of the house! We have a gray wood laminate flooring throughout the whole house including kitchen, which I like very much. The countertops are a black faux quartz which is the only part of the kitchen I actually like. All appliances are white as well as the large farmhouse sink. I initially decided to change out the hardware from the awful stainless steel handles that were on there, to flat black finish handles.
While it did improve the overall look a bit, those cabinets are still such as eyesore that my hatred of them grows daily.:vs_mad:
I've searched endlessly for paint color ideas but have come up with zip. I'd prefer not to do grey as I think it would match the floors to much, I HATE beige, and I would like to find a color that really suits are taste, without being to trendy (don't want it to looked dated in a couple of yrs).
Any suggestions are very much welcome as I have squat :vs_worry:

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,805 Posts
Well I had a grey in mind until you vetoed it.

So how about matching a dining table, or some other aspect in the room.

Without a picture to see we can guess Monkey Vomit Green, and be as right as the next person.

What are the door and window trim colors?

ED

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I would consider a semi gloss white very close to the finish white used in the trim.
With the black hardware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it's worth, I think the cabinets actually look pretty nice as they are. The only downside is that the wood of the cabinets is not a great match for the color of the flooring. But it's not super horrible.

If you absolutely hate it, I think jlhaslip's suggestion is a good one. I would give it a +1 vote. White semi gloss all of the cabinets. It will match the stove and allow the color of the walls and floor to express themselves more.

·
retired painter
11,816 Posts
The key to getting a good lasting paint job on the cabinets is prep and coating choice. A light sanding followed by a solvent based primer will insure good adhesion. Top coat with either a quality latex or waterborne enamel. Usually takes 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts