DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I've been on here for hours and decided what is probably the best way to go for my needs are new construction cans for dimmable LED recessed lighting, but I'm OPEN to suggestions.

I have an open beam patio and want to install 10 LED lights. I will be installing insulation and covering the underneath of the patio with T1-11 siding.

My intent is to precut the holes then hang the siding. But like the subject shows, I fear my holes may not be in the EXACT spot where the cans are located. Is there ANY adjusting the cans once installed?

I only have 5 1/2 inches height to play with so I will need the low profile cans, but did see a post someone using an ultra-low remodel fixture.

ANY suggestions very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,464 Posts
You cans have to be rated for insulation, I think that means they have to be mounted first...........?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
The amount of adjustment room you have is controlled by the width of the lip on the light trim. For maximum wiggle room, you'd cut the hole diameter oversize by the with of the trim. In other words, if your can diameter is 6" and the lip of the trim is 1" wide (8" outer diameter), then you'd cut the hole at 7", giving you 1" of adjustment in any direction.

It's better to shoot for accuracy though, and cut your hole about 1/2" larger than the can for a nice thin 1/4" gap. But you have to get your hole within 1/4" of the right spot.

Reactions: Old-JoeDIYer

·
Registered
912 Posts
How about something that just looks like a can light? You can get these surface mount LED lights that look just like can lights but are instead just a surface mounted disk. These can either be used to retrofit a can light or install directly in a standard 4" J box.

If you install a 2X4 laid flat between the joists at the correct depth for your box, you can then measure it's location to approximately the center. Make sure your wiring is safely tucked out of the way and then install a sheet of T-11. Mark your layout marks using your measurements then cut out the hole with a hole saw. Using a hole saw just slightly larger than you need will give you a little more room to fit the box into the hole.

Reach up into the hole to access your wiring and insert the wires into the box then mount the box to the 2x4 using a couple screws. Easy and perfect fit every time. You can do this as you go so you don't have to rely so heavily on a page full of measurements.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,471 Posts
I'm confused.... why precut the can holes.

I'd check your local suppliers, but you should have shallow IC remodel cans available.

I'm pretty sure the shallow IC remodel can will fit your 6 ceiling joists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm confused.... why precut the can holes.

I'd check your local suppliers, but you should have shallow IC remodel cans available.

I'm pretty sure the shallow IC remodel can will fit your 6 ceiling joists.
If the cans are installed and I then fasten the T1-11 to the ceiling, how would I go about accurately cut the holes. I figured it would be easier to cut the holes 1st, then fasten the wood to the ceiling.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,384 Posts
Run the cables to the approximate location. Install the T111. Cut the holes. Install the remodel cans.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

·
Usually Confused
9,606 Posts
That seems easy enough - thank you, BUT at $68 a piece when I need 10, seems a little extravagant for patio lighting.

If you're in the US I'll betcha they're cheaper (I've similar lights by different manufacturers cheaper up here). Also, you're going to have to deal with that square junction box - it can't be made inaccessible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're in the US I'll betcha they're cheaper (I've similar lights by different manufacturers cheaper up here). Also, you're going to have to deal with that square junction box - it can't be made inaccessible.
A BIG THANK YOU is VERY much in order.

I found them less than 3 miles from my home for $28 each. A no fuss, no muss installation.

·
Electrician
1,404 Posts
That seems easy enough - thank you, BUT at $68 a piece when I need 10, seems a little extravagant for patio lighting.

I used that as an example, many different brands you can pick from. Lotus are the original and most expensive. They also have a 10 year warranty which you probably don't get with the cheaper versions.

I have used Litihonia ones before and they are much cheaper. WF4 is the 4" version and WF6 is the 6" version.

·
electrician
377 Posts
Lay out your lights, measuring carefully where you want them.

Pull wire to each location, looping the wire - do not cut wire.

Staple and leave long loops in the event you need to move the can around.

Take pictures before boarding.

Install ceiling boards.

Measure where your light should be, and centre on the board.

Drill pilot hole (1/8").

Take a small piece of bare copper (14ga.) and bend 90 degree with the radius of the hole you're going to cut.

Angle wire and insert into pilot hole. Spin wire to make sure you're not hitting joist.

Carefully cut hole out and pull loop through hole.

Splice and do the next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.