DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm renovating my kitchen. Currently have one pantry door which is 18" x 80". I'm going to take the extra wall space to the right of this pantry and add two more doors, recessing into the laundry room about 10" with about 3" decorative trim between and around the doors to give the whole thing a dressed up look. Home centers need 2-5 wks to deliver doors which are expensive. I would manually build my door jambs, and add hinges. Question: Can I purchase a set of Bi-fold doors and disconnect them so that I have two separated doors? I would not use a standard door handle, but likely use a cabinet handle, with a magnetic catch, or ball and groove kind of hardware. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
p wade said:
Hi. I'm renovating my kitchen. Currently have one pantry door which is 18" x 80". I'm going to take the extra wall space to the right of this pantry and add two more doors, recessing into the laundry room about 10" with about 3" decorative trim between and around the doors to give the whole thing a dressed up look. Home centers need 2-5 wks to deliver doors which are expensive. I would manually build my door jambs, and add hinges. Question: Can I purchase a set of Bi-fold doors and disconnect them so that I have two separated doors? I would not use a standard door handle, but likely use a cabinet handle, with a magnetic catch, or ball and groove kind of hardware. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
So am I understanding right that the rough opening will now be 28" wide? So 12" Bifolds could be taken apart and hinged to swing like normal doors. However, I hope you have some good door experience, because what you're talking about doing requires a fairly high skill level if it's going to look and work properly. Other options- pocket door, swing door. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
14,477 Posts
For some reason I don't understand what you are doing but your question:
Question: Can I purchase a set of Bi-fold doors and disconnect them so that I have two separated doors? I would not use a standard door handle, but likely use a cabinet handle, with a magnetic catch, or ball and groove kind of hardware. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The answer to your question is yes you can do that, just remove all the bifold hardware, install the hinges like you would any regular door. You may have to go with a narrower hing as the bifold doors aren't as thick as a regular door.
You may have to cut the length of the sides of the jambs as they will more than likely be too long and the doors will set too high off the floor.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Yes, you can take apart bifold doors and add hinges to them.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Why not just get a standard door 2' 4" x 6'8" and make your rough opening size 30" x 82 3/4". If money is the issue here you can try your local wood door manufacture someone like this http://www.wood-doors.com/dprehung.html and see if they have any doors your size and check their specials I’m sure you would find something that is not to expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts