DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm surprised that there are no services in the Seattle/Tacoma area that deliver rental equipment like rug doctor, lawn mowers or anything else you can buy at Home Depot. I know Home Depot rents, but I have to pick up the equipment, which is a pain.

Does anyone know of a rental delivery service which will deliver rental equipment to my house and pick it up? If not, is there a reason that this is a bad idea? I feel it would be useful to have this service...

Thanks!

·
Administrator
42,246 Posts
Does anyone know of a rental delivery service which will deliver rental equipment to my house and pick it up? If not, is there a reason that this is a bad idea? I feel it would be useful to have this service...

Thanks!
It would probably add a min of 20 to 30 bucks to the cost of the rental.

Reactions: joecaption

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Anybody with a car, except maybe a Smart Car (the most mis-named vehicle ever) could pick up and take home a Rug Doctor, lawn mower, or other item of similar size. The charge to deliver such things would probably exceed the rental cost, so few if any people would choose delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@md2lgyk That's partly true. Here's why I think carrying this type of equipment is a hassle:
1. I own a toyota corolla (not an uncommon sized car), and putting a large piece of equipment in the trunk (a rugdoctor would be at a lower end for size) is back breaking, not to mention prone to damaging my car or the equipment.
2. I can't pick things up when I have my kids with me, because I can' take care of both a large unruly piece of equipment, and unruly kids.
3. Because I have the chore of having to drop off the equipment and pick it up, I tend to delay returning it. THe same applies for picking it up. If someone were to deliver it, I'd get a rugdoctor far more often. I'd also get other equipment more readily because I don't have to rent a truck or figure out how to transport it.
4. Following #3, I'm paying more already. Smaller factor is the time it takes me to pick up/drop off. I've spend 1/2 hour in lines in Home depot rental pickup. It takes me hour and half to pick up/drop off, which i pay for.
5. Finally, I also need to worry about moving the larger tools/power tools for yard work all the way to the back of he house, which requires two people in some cases depending on the weight of the equipment. I wish someone would just take it there for me, and pick it up when I'm done. As I get older, I see myself doing this less and less.

So to the question, do users want it? I think the answer would be yes.

As far as charge goes... I haven't figured out the numbers, but I wanted to understand if price is the only barrier.

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Administrator
42,246 Posts
Price is probably the main barrier. Next would be having to wait at home for them to drop it off to you. then of course if your schedule and theirs don't match, you could end up waiting a day or 2 for them to drop it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah... @beenthere... you bring up some good points indeed.

Your point about 'having to wait for delivery' is an important one. For instance, if I wanted this delivered to a customer work-site, it would be important for me to get there on time and such a service may not work well in that case if either me or the service can't keep time.

Do you feel it's as much an issue for people who are sitting at home on the weekend (I suppose a lot of the DIY work happens on the weekend) or generally at home. I think if I schedule a time and the service doesn't deliver at that time (+/- half hour), or doesn't accommodate my needs (deliver to back yard), that would be a deal breaker. So ability to meet close to 100% scheduling requests, and accurate delivery windows are important to success of such a service. Also, it will be very challenging to scale up the staffing, assuming delivery/pickup will be clustered around certain times of day/days of week, and the staff will need other things to do during off time (e.g. mid-day). We'll need to hire professional mechanics who double as delivery men, so they can maintain the equipment when it's not being picked up/delivered.

Very interesting indeed... I'd enjoy hearing more opinions on this topic.

PS: I think this doesn't apply to everyone, but I regularly have shipping companies or Amazon drop off expensive goods on our doorsteps, so that by itself would not be a concern if some service I'm paying for drops off equipment at my house or in my backyard (e.g.: if requested).

·
Administrator
42,246 Posts
Ah... @beenthere... you bring up some good points indeed.

Your point about 'having to wait for delivery' is an important one. For instance, if I wanted this delivered to a customer work-site, it would be important for me to get there on time and such a service may not work well in that case if either me or the service can't keep time.

Do you feel it's as much an issue for people who are sitting at home on the weekend (I suppose a lot of the DIY work happens on the weekend) or generally at home. I think if I schedule a time and the service doesn't deliver at that time (+/- half hour), or doesn't accommodate my needs (deliver to back yard), that would be a deal breaker. So ability to meet close to 100% scheduling requests, and accurate delivery windows are important to success of such a service. Also, it will be very challenging to scale up the staffing, assuming delivery/pickup will be clustered around certain times of day/days of week, and the staff will need other things to do during off time (e.g. mid-day). We'll need to hire professional mechanics who double as delivery men, so they can maintain the equipment when it's not being picked up/delivered.

Very interesting indeed... I'd enjoy hearing more opinions on this topic.

PS: I think this doesn't apply to everyone, but I regularly have shipping companies or Amazon drop off expensive goods on our doorsteps, so that by itself would not be a concern if some service I'm paying for drops off equipment at my house or in my backyard (e.g.: if requested).

Until the equipment is stolen. And you have to buy.pay them the full retail price to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. This service can't work in a high/medium crime neighborhood where things could get stolen off front porches or back-yards, for more reasons than one (pricing, high losses, etc). Better chance in a wealthy suburban neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Have you tried a non big box rental?. Most of the rental companies in my area will deliver for a price. When someone rents tables, chairs, serving pieces dishes etc for a wedding for 200 they certainly aren't picking it up . Back before my utility trailer, I rented tools such as compactors, masonry cutters, tillers, aerators etc and had them all delivered. Yes it cost a couple of bucks more but it was cheaper than one owning a truck or two renting a truck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
don't you have a friend that could help you out somehow? maybe a neighbor to help you carry equipment? in your case it's either you spend more on delivery and wait around or make time to pick the equipment up with some help.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It is actually an acronym, SMart. The S stands for Swatch ( the Swiss watch co) and the M stands for Mercedes, who partnered with them. Mercedes veto'd the idea of calling it the Swatch art car.
Hmm, did not know that. In reality, it's not a "smart" car at all. Lots of much-less-ugly ones (like my wife's Ford Focus) are more comfortable, carry more people and cargo, get much better mileage, are safer, and cost far less. Don't see why anyone would buy a SMart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.