DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which brand of paint to use when we paint the entire house we've bought. I'm torn between Benjamin Moore (wonder if it's really "that good" and worth the price or if they're just great marketers) and Dulux Lifemaster (formerly ICI, I think). I want zero VOC and something that won't take 4 coats. Iny opinions on these would be great or recommendations for another great brand. Thanks!!!

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
BM's Natura is pretty good. Any reason why a very low VOC wouldn't be acceptable?
We all want less in the paint, and the paint to do more. Think about that. the science is getting pretty good, but when you take stuff out, it isn't there any more.
In low VOC BM- the new Regal Select which uses the new tints is good- Ben is another one that is a little lower priced but still a good paint. And then there is Aura, which I have used a lot of with some pretty sensitive clients with no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just figure if I want clean air, why not have zero VOC but I understand what you're saying about taking stuff out. I just hoped that maybe they were taking out crappy ingredients and replacing them with something better (but that's not usually the way!). So, do you have an opinion on the Lifemaster?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And what about Homestead House? Have you heard of it? Used it? I think I might also start a thread on that one.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Look, go for the quality of paint - it'll save you in time in the long run, since painting a whole house isn't something you'll want to be doing often. But realize that the prep has as much to do with what you'd call a good paint job, and that none of us will emphasize enough that proper prep is crucial.

The best paint won't stand up long on a crappy surface...

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
I'm trying to decide which brand of paint to use when we paint the entire house we've bought. I'm torn between Benjamin Moore (wonder if it's really "that good" and worth the price or if they're just great marketers) and Dulux Lifemaster (formerly ICI, I think). I want zero VOC and something that won't take 4 coats. Iny opinions on these would be great or recommendations for another great brand. Thanks!!!
Sherwin Williams has a few lines of 0 VOC paint and a few lines of Low VOC. Whichever line you use you will not have to apply more than 2 coats 2 coats is standard for painting. There is no paint that will cover perfectly in 1 coat, unless your doing an exact color match, but even then sometimes 2 coats is needed.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Harmony by SW is a great low VOC paint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Harmony is 0 VOC and they also have Promar in O VOC.
That is until they add colorant. Ben Moore has the only system that when colorant is added the VOC's still remain at 0. While others have 0 VOC bases and when colorants are added the VOC's increase, more for darker colors. SW was recently sued over this claim and will have to re-think the ad campaign for some of their claims. VOC's in SW after colorant is added 5 to 112 G/L, Moore's Natura after colorant 0 G/L. Natura should cost you around $45 a gallon with Eco-Spec WB a little less in cost.

http://www.durabilityanddesign.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=4956

·
2,392 Posts
Personally, for the exterior, I want the paint to be as smelly as possible, and have more chemicals rather than less. Brushjockey (sorry to bring you into this) got it started. There is no "crappy" element to quality paint. Anything/everything taken out performs a function. How do we really know the substitutes are not in beta form, or aren't performing up to par. Just because the govt made them take out certain components doesn't mean the pc's had a ready comparable replacement. If the nasty chemicals that were taken out weren't required to be there, would they have been there in the first place? Does anybody truly think that anything they put in that can is good for the enviroment? I truly think some people believe low/0 voc is green? It may be "greener", but it's not green, it's still all very poisonous and toxic. I'm open to any research that points to long term success of these new paints. I don't buy the effectiveness and would not take a chance personally, nor would I recommend it to my customers. In all my years in the painting business, I've had one, 1, customer request for low VOC. She was not a regular, as I did some drywall priming for her under a GC as a one shot deal for him. I've never even had a customer initiated conversation about low/0 VOC paint, ever. It's feel good. I say it's feel good because when you really dig deep into the issue of supposedly safer environmental alternatives, you find we're merely trading off negatives. We're saving the air, but destroying the land, the water, etc. You can't overcompensate for one without undercompensating for another. It rings true across the entire environmental debate. I'll spare you the political rant, but just tell you I'm not buying into the whole scheme, or the reasoning behind it, and I'm not selling it either. The earth will be here and continue to flourish long after you, and mankind, are gone. In the paraphrased words of the late sage George Carlin, we're about as irritating to mother nature as a flea to a dog. In my opinion TJR, honestly and respectfully, do what's best for your house. Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, BM Dealer, BM Natura costs, if I remember correctly $60-$70/gallon here (east coast of Canada), so you can understand why I'm researching the crap out of this decision. And jsheridan, I have a 16-month old and that's pretty much the only reason I want to go low/zero VOC. If I can make the air she breaths less toxic, then I will. I realize there is no chemical-free paint, except maybe milk paint (?) but if it's at least somewhat more healthy than the alternative, I think I'll go for it. I also realize companies, like BM, have really good market campaigns and charge way too much for their products. That's why I was hoping for some honest opinions about it all, to find out if it's truly worth the money. It seems nobody has an opinion on the Glidden (Dulux Lifemaster) product...is it just a Canadian brand?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts