DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a few screws when I drove into the wood they spins probably due to driver torque set too high now they can't be tightened.

Normally I would just use longer screws but in this case the wood is 1x and behind that is concrete block so I can't use longer screws unless I drill holes in the concrete.

Will inserting a toothpick work or do I need to patch wood filler into the screw holes let dry and try again?

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Tooth pick and a dab of wood glue.
Wood filler would never work.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Can you not just move the screw a little bit? Or use a larger diameter screw? If not, I'd go with inserting a dowel.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you not just move the screw a little bit? Or use a larger diameter screw? If not, I'd go with inserting a dowel.
No. These are elbow outlets with brass ears at the end of copper pipes. I can move them but it would involve straining the pipe a little. Or I would have to remove many other straps for connecting valves, and shift the whole thing.

Also the brass fitting's "ears" have small size holes, can't use larger screws.

·
JOATMON
15,993 Posts
Toothpick may not be enough mass....chances are the wood is soft pine....if that's the case....go grab a chuck of 2x4 and using a knife, cut off a sliver from the long edge....you basically want to fill the hole with wood....if it sticks out....no problem...hammers work fine as an adjusting tool.....then, put in the screw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts