DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remodeling a 100+ year old house, some of the spots the rim joists and sill plates are completely rotted away.

Current configuration is block wall, sill plate sits on that and rim joist in that. Floor joists rest on sill plate and are nailed into rim joist. 2x4 exterior walls are built directly on top of rim joist.

What is the best way to replace these?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue actually isn't the floor joists, all the floor joists in that section are rotted away. It's more of how do you get the old sill plate and rim joist out from underneath the exterior wall?

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
The issue actually isn't the floor joists, all the floor joists in that section are rotted away. It's more of how do you get the old sill plate and rim joist out from underneath the exterior wall?
You jack up the floor which lifts the wall, taking the weight of the rim and the sill so you can replace them. :wink2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, seems like I'm in a bit of a predicament then.

I may be able to get new joist in under the wall and then jack them up. Worth a try.

I also have the same issue along the front of the house, this is the rim joist that runs parallel to the floor joists. The sill plate is okay there, but rim joist is completely rotted.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Please post some pictures.
Before doing anything I'd want to figure out why this happened.
Insect damage, to close to grade, ect.
Your's may be different, but any 100 year old house I've worked on had a 6 X 6 or 4 X 6 used as what we would now call a rim joist.
There was no block walls 100 years ago so I'm guessing someone enclosed this long ago.
Most often they did this without any venting or not enough, and no termite shields.
Yes I know you just want to know how to do this, but no one here can see what your seeing without some pictures so where all going to have to guess.

·
retired framer
59,756 Posts
Well, seems like I'm in a bit of a predicament then.

I may be able to get new joist in under the wall and then jack them up. Worth a try.

I also have the same issue along the front of the house, this is the rim joist that runs parallel to the floor joists. The sill plate is okay there, but rim joist is completely rotted.
The front will be different, no new joists you go under the house with a short beam and jack up floor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe, the records show the house was built in 1908. There is a block wall foundation with what looks like a 2x8 sill plate and 2x8 rim joist. Possible it was changed at some point when they added the block wall? It appears to be all original.

There was what appears to be extensive water intrusion at this spot and the other spot for a long time that lead to rot. We have the entire house gutted including the floor.

Sill plates, rim joists and even some floor joist were rotted on this side, but the rest of them throughout the house are in great condition.

I will get pictures tomorrow, it's already dark out here and we don't have any lights currently in that part of the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.