DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need to rejuvenate my 2 1/4" oak strip hardwood floors, and I am wondering what the best solution may be, as well as the quickest.
Dogs have scratched the top coat in many places, but no gouges. The finish has begun to dull down quite a bit.
I am trying to avoid having to re top coat the floors, but was wondering if anyone has had decent success using any of the newer rejuvenation products out there.
Thanks in advance,
Al

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sounds like you have a good candidate for a screen & re-coat job. Let's hope it isn't too far gone for that and needs to be sanded down.

I would be very dubious of any magic in a bottle product.

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a good candidate for a screen & re-coat job. Let's hope it isn't too far gone for that and needs to be sanded down.

I would be very dubious of any magic in a bottle product.
As am I... Hence the reason for the post! :thumbsup:

Now, what do you mean by a "screen and recoat" job?
Would that mean that I need to rent a floor buffer and a screen pad (what grit?) and then recoat with Poly?
I was truly hoping to avoid all that work. Looking at approximately 500 to 600 sq ft with lots of furniture on it. I will already need to relocate the furniture (not a big deal if I do one room at a time), but since the rooms are open to each other and the floor runs parallel to the opening, if I only do one room at a time there would be a seam showing where the recoat stopped and started. Which would really suck.

Is there any way to polish the floor to return the luster to the top coat? It's not really that bad, the scratches aren't through the top coat, but it is quite dull due to foot traffic and the dogs (and their nails are now clipped and WILL be maintained... or else!):mad:

Al

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Never used it on wood..
You could try the Johnson non-slip floor wax. Just don't apply it directly to the floor or puddle it up. I used it on a very dull vinyl floor and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You need to find an easy button for this job, so you can sit in a chair and have it done for you.

Once you go with a wax product, there is no re-coating in the future. You could try a floor buffer with a red pad, or a 120 screen and then a red pad, then white. It is difficult to see that floor from where I'm sitting.

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to find an easy button for this job, so you can sit in a chair and have it done for you.

Once you go with a wax product, there is no re-coating in the future. You could try a floor buffer with a red pad, or a 120 screen and then a red pad, then white. It is difficult to see that floor from where I'm sitting.
:mad: Um... huh? I find that remark highly offensive. If i didnt know better i would think you were a troll. Not looking for an easy button, just information. I sub out all my floors, but want to try and gain a little experience and knowledge on my own. You assume that i am afraid of the work. Just inexperienced. If you have an issue with that, why even post?
i hope you made yourself feel better just a little by trying to put me down. That was very childish.
I certainly hope that you are not representative of people here on this forum.
if you were having a bad day, i understand, and accept your apology in advance.:)

·
Banned
101 Posts
:mad: Um... huh? I find that remark highly offensive. If i didnt know better i would think you were a troll. Not looking for an easy button, just information. I sub out all my floors, but want to try and gain a little experience and knowledge on my own. You assume that i am afraid of the work. Just inexperienced. If you have an issue with that, why even post?
i hope you made yourself feel better just a little by trying to put me down. That was very childish.
I certainly hope that you are not representative of people here on this forum.
if you were having a bad day, i understand, and accept your apology in advance.:)
He's probably just having a bad day. Anyways, I think your floor would need to be sanded and then subjected to a screen and re-coat job. I can't think of a way to fill those scratches in and still get a decent looking floor. But that's just me, I hope there is a professional floor restorer to shed some light on this matter.

-Paul

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Cleve is a very helpfull contributor.... I'm pretty sure he was joking kidding... and he advised you well with the wax...

For a short term rental (student housing) for a friends daughter, I used a quick majic bottle ... maybe called rejuvinate in fact. It helped the initial appearance... but I saw it later... and it does not last.

I do not have any confidence in those products for a real/lasting type solution..... maybe for a touchup before sale or something.

But, if you did want to try one of those products, reseach Bona Floor Products... they are one of the best lines.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
A lot of misconceptions here about wax.?
If it doesn't work she can either get a wax stripper, or scratch it off with the pad you suggest.
Here's some suggestions.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/floor/hardwood-floors/how-to-refinish-hardwood-floors/view-all

No sanding in this one, and it claims done in one day.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/floor/hardwood-floors/refinish-hardwood-floors-in-one-day/view-all
Ron... I agree wax is not a final irreversable issue... neither is paint or tar for that matter... most anything can be undone/corrected.... but it can be a PIA...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts