DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I took out a window in my 1940s house as part of expanding our kitchen into an adjacent room. Framing and covering it was pretty easy, but now I need to patch the exterior wood siding (see photo). The clapboards are just 1 x 10 boards, with no laps or bevels or anything. I'm going to caulk the ends of each new board to keep water out, but I am worried that the seams will show even after I paint and it will show the obvious outlines of an old window.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to hide the seams? I'm thinking caulking the ends of the boards, but then using some kind of sandable compound like wood filler to fill the remaining seams and then sand smooth. Does this sound like the right approach? If so, what would you recommend using as a sandable filler? Maybe epoxy wood filler?

Thanks in advance. I always get great advice from this site.

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,664 Posts
Remove the boards all the way up to the peak (from the bottom of the window up). Reinstall the boards staggering the joints. Slip a pierce aluminum flashing behind each joint. Reuse the boards from the peak as they are already pre-cut. (or use them a a template if you break them.

If you try to just patch over the old window, it will always be an obvious poor patch job.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Unfortunately no matter which method you use to seal the ends of the replacement boards it will fail. No matter where you live the replacement boards will expand and contract due to weather temp conditions. When this happens your sealant/crack repair of choice will crack.

·
In a little over my head
1,383 Posts
I live in a house with 1x10 siding, too. Pull the boards on both sides of the window. A little creative use of a Sawzall or Mutimaster will help cut some of the nails. Buy a couple more 1x10s. Reinstall, randomizing the joints.

When I first moved in, I removed a vent fan and patched like you're describing. Just 2 boards. It worked. But I wouldn't say it looks good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The end results

Just wanted to update you all on my repair. I went ahead and replaced about 100 feet of siding rather than the 40 or so I had planned, and I'm glad I did. It's not a perfect job, but I'm happy with it considering I had never hung siding before. I did most of it myself, but convinced my wife to help me hang the long pieces near the top - on Mother's Day. Haha.

There's one seam with about a quarter-inch gap. I filled it with caulk but I plan to put a small piece of aluminum flashing over it and paint it to match. Think that will work? It's up high so won't be very visible. Also, should I smear some caulk over the nailheads before painting? I read that I should not caulk the bottoms of the boards to allow breathing and drainage, which makes sense. And I did prime the backs of the boards before hanging them.

Thanks for all the advice! Glad I followed it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.