DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my garage has a 10' walls with 16" OC studs and I have drywall that is 4x12'. Is it better to hang the drywall horizontal or veritcal? Vertical I have to cut 2' off and only one vertical seam. Horizontal, I don't cut any off the sheet (other than the piece to fill in the 2' void), but have two seams horizontal? Advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Horizontal. I hate vertical seams. Horizontal seams are easier to do, imo.
Somewhere I've read/heard where DW is meant to be installed horizontally, but I've never gotten any hard evidence for or against it.

·
The Big Builder
42 Posts
I have done both with good results. I would say do what ever lowers the amount of taping is the route I would take. I am sure it will turn out fine. If not, you will have to but some new tool chest and shelving unit to cover it up:).

·
6,520 Posts
I should have said that the tapered edge seam is easier to mud and tape in the horizontal position. Renovator's right...The "butt" seam would be the ends without the taper.

I still vote for horizontal. :thumbsup:

·
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
7,556 Posts
Ok, my garage has a 10' walls with 16" OC studs and I have drywall that is 4x12'. Is it better to hang the drywall horizontal or veritcal? Vertical I have to cut 2' off and only one vertical seam. Horizontal, I don't cut any off the sheet (other than the piece to fill in the 2' void), but have two seams horizontal? Advice? Thanks.
10 foot walls: Generally, we will only stand sheets up on steel frame commercial and industrial applications.
On wood frame, we lay them horizontally 99.9% of the time. The best method when you have that additional 2' section, is to start hanging at the top with full sheets, and place the 2' strip sections at the bottom (cut end down). At 2' +, that seam should still be easy to reach, coat, and sand, unless you are incredibly tall, and bending over to that point is difficult for you. This way: All seams are "factory edges" -to- "factory edges".

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
I Say horizontally, I feel it helps keep the wall straighter, Do they have 5'x12' sheets by you. BOB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definately go horizontal then. No 5'x12' sheets that I know of, though that would be nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
horizontal

Stability, easier seams. Prefer to start at the bottom, then the second sheet is held up by the first, and so on. When doing ceilings, I go and hide.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was always told to always butt beveled edges and never butt the non beveled edge because of finishing problems. That is why they are beveled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts