DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replace a light switch in my bedroom and found this mess inside the box. The right two romex wires are connected to the light switch. The left two have nothing to do with the light switch and the top left one has no slack available.

On the left side, the line comes from the bottom and the upper wire goes on to power outlets in another room.
Behind this light switch wall is a closet. I'm thinking of 2 approaches and would like your feedback.
  1. Putting a new electrical box in the closet ~6 inches above this one, pulling the top left wire into that box, then running a new romex 14/2 between the new box and this one.
  2. Putting 2 new electrical boxes in the closet, one ~6 inches below this one to the left, one ~6 inches above this one to the left, then running a new romex 14/2 between the 2 new boxes. This would leave the light switch box just containing the wires for the light switch.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,371 Posts
I went to replace a light switch in my bedroom and found this mess inside the box. The right two romex wires are connected to the light switch. The left two have nothing to do with the light switch and the top left one has no slack available.

On the left side, the line comes from the bottom and the upper wire goes on to power outlets in another room.
Behind this light switch wall is a closet. I'm thinking of 2 approaches and would like your feedback.
  1. Putting a new electrical box in the closet ~6 inches above this one, pulling the top left wire into that box, then running a new romex 14/2 between the new box and this one.
  2. Putting 2 new electrical boxes in the closet, one ~6 inches below this one to the left, one ~6 inches above this one to the left, then running a new romex 14/2 between the 2 new boxes. This would leave the light switch box just containing the wires for the light switch.
Thanks in advance!

You will need to make the new junction boxes accessible, so hiding them in a closet is not the best idea.

But it will work, if you need the extra space in wiring.

ED

·
Licenced Electrician
1,310 Posts
Instead of 6" below, maybe a box at receptacle height above the floor? You gain a receptacle that way.

As to a box 6" above in the closet, just make sure it is accessible with a blank cover as stated. You could go a bit higher in case you have trouble with damaged wires; you should have to remove some staples if it was installed correctly in the first place.

Whatever you plan is, make sure it includes attaching the ground wires to the box properly. Wrapped around the clamp screw is not acceptable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the box at receptacle level, I have one under the light switch (and over by about 3 ft), but it's not connected to any of these 4 wires.

Regarding the ground wires, can I twist them together from the 2 wires and cap it, or does it have to be attached to the box as well? Should I use a pigtail bare copper to attach it to the box from the to-be twisted grounds?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,371 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the box at receptacle level, I have one under the light switch (and over by about 3 ft), but it's not connected to any of these 4 wires.

Regarding the ground wires, can I twist them together from the 2 wires and cap it, or does it have to be attached to the box as well? Should I use a pigtail bare copper to attach it to the box from the to-be twisted grounds?

That is the expected way to ground the box.

ED

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Use a wire nut red will do. One ground for each yoke and yes the box needs to be grounded. Should be a threaded hole for a green screw. 5/16 nut driver will drive the screw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get rid of that mess...and the wire nuts...

Re-do with Ideal Push Connectors or WAGO Lever Connectors. Extend from each 3 or 4 port a wire for the device.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, installing a few junction boxes will be a good way to deal with this mess. One of the boxes should replace the existing box which is definetly overloaded besides the other issues with it. You can have the junction boxes in the closet but the boxes must remain accessible without having to remove anything like sheetrock etc to gain access to them. Just be sure before you install the boxes that you find the correct fitting blank plates for them. Opening up the wall would help also since it is in a closet. Being in the closet would make it easier to repair the sheetrock etc if you are not so good at taping and finishing and then painting.

You could use 2 gang plastic old work boxes if you don't open the wall or the same 2 gang plastic new work box if you open the wall. Then just buy the proper plastic blank cover for the box. Either old or new work box will take the same blank cover.

Or you can use metal boxes. 4x4 with a mud ring and then a blank cover. the mud rings come in either single or 2 gang to fit the 4x4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts