DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a new TV on a stone veneer fireplace. I need a 4" x 4" hole for electric ,etc.
What is the best way to cut the stone veneer?
...I was thinking a diamond blade on an angle grinder?

· Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,639 Posts
I wonder if multi tool makes a blade that would plunge through that slowly.
My Fein came with a blade I never used that is supposed to be for such things. I still think a masonry or diamond blade on a grinder would be faster.

If you drill holes make sure you have a masonry/stone bit. Pilot holes and cold chisels have been used for millenia even to quarry stone so the schema will certainly work. I still think an grinder will be faster? If you don't have one they are not outrageously expensive. I am surprised how often I used a grinder once I got one ages ago.

Of course I used the multi-tool almost every day bought you would want one like a Fein or of similar quality to take on stone. I don't know if the Harbor Frieght type equivalents would hold up.

· Administrator
14,327 Posts
With just one hole to install a TV I’d do it the old fashion way.

Sure a grinder is fast but Mama isn’t going to like that cloud of dust that’s going to coat everything in that room and likely more.

I’m sure the multi-tool would work better for dust control but It doesn’t make sense to purchase or rent one just for one hole.

· Concrete & Masonry
4,069 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using anything but a diamond blade and some sort of saw/grinder for what you're attempting to do. Thin stone doesn't do well with chiselling/vibration, and attempting to do so on tile backer board is bound to loosen/crack far more stone & joints than you intended. Just cut it and have someone hold a vacuum at the discharge of the grinder, or expect to remove alot more stone and mortar, and repair...............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.