DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m installing new unfinished hickory treads in the next few days. I typically use minwax polycrylic mainly because it’s simple and works well for most projects. I’m not sure if that’s best on floors though. Any recommendations? Also, these are pairing up with newly installed prefinished solid hickory, which I’m guessing is closest to a semi-gloss?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Use hardwood floor finish, it performs better than regular urethane on floors. Water based is very clear and solvent base gives the wood a golden hue. Both work equally well.

·
retired painter
10,985 Posts
A big difference between oil and water based poly is the oil will deepen the colors in the wood/stain where water based will just give it a sheen. Polycrylic would be my last choice for a floor coating.

If you stain [or not] and apply at least 2 coats of poly on the treads prior to installation you will save yourself time/effort along with only needing to close the stair case for one drying cycle.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Minwax is a brand name and has a proven record. Also that as a diy, that is about all I could get from home centers and pro paint shops.:smile: In nj. I used something else, also very good, sold at the tool rental stores. If a store, ask how long it's been around.
I'd definitely use water clean up poly and do at least 3 coats. For regular pro finish, it was 2 finish oil coats, after initial seal coat. Cheap jobs didn't seal. I haven't really thought about how stair treads should be finished. I just did the same coats as the floor. But search and how stairs can be finished so it is not as smooth as the floor. I guess it can be too smooth. If I could glide across a floor in socks, I am wondering if stairs should be that smooth? There is at least one another forum for the floor pros.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts