DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently refinished my pine table. I sanded it down to bare wood, primed, painted and distressed it. I have applied 4 coats of Varathane and it has cured for well over two weeks. The other night my son spilled some of his supper on it and it stained. The food had turmeric in it which can stain badly but I had hoped the table would be able to withstand that. Is there something else that would be better for the tabletop? After all that work it is super disappointing to see it barely made it two weeks...☹

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It had been easily over two weeks since I topcoated it so I thought that would be enough.

As far as product goes, I’m somewhat limited living in a small town in Canada. With Covid it’s even more difficult to get other products. I will check the next time I go to the city to see if I can get something heavier duty to protect it. Assuming I could just cost over the Varathane that’s on there and wait another curing period?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
It had been easily over two weeks since I topcoated it so I thought that would be enough.

As far as product goes, I’m somewhat limited living in a small town in Canada. With Covid it’s even more difficult to get other products. I will check the next time I go to the city to see if I can get something heavier duty to protect it. Assuming I could just cost over the Varathane that’s on there and wait another curing period?

needs to be sanded down pretty good. too many mils can lead to finish cracking.

·
Usually Confused
9,162 Posts
I just recently refinished my pine table. I sanded it down to bare wood, primed, painted and distressed it. I have applied 4 coats of Varathane and it has cured for well over two weeks. The other night my son spilled some of his supper on it and it stained. The food had turmeric in it which can stain badly but I had hoped the table would be able to withstand that. Is there something else that would be better for the tabletop? After all that work it is super disappointing to see it barely made it two weeks...☹

Google 'removing turmeric stain from wood' - there are a few tips on there. Sounds like it a very stain-y spice (or whatever it is).

·
Usually Confused
9,162 Posts
It means catalyzed chemical cure opposed to a single component polyurethane like varathane.

Many different brands. The newer water based 2K poly are relatively easy to use and relatively non toxic at least compared to their solvent based equivalents.

I looked up Enduro - doesn't looked particularly homeowner DIY friendly - you have to add a catalyst/hardener.

I've had decent results with Varathane, although not on a table top, but know many pros aren't that big on it. How about Old Masters or one of the other 'better brands'?

If the OP can get the stain out, perhaps the simplest long term solution is place mats!

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I looked up Enduro - doesn't looked particularly homeowner DIY friendly - you have to add a catalyst/hardener.

I've had decent results with Varathane, although not on a table top, but know many pros aren't that big on it. How about Old Masters or one of the other 'better brands'?

If the OP can get the stain out, perhaps the simplest long term solution is place mats!
2K poly produces a finish almost as good as factory baked coatings. The hardener is Enduro is an isocyanate so you are correct it is not particularly homeowner friendly. however OP asks for the 'best' and 2K poly is it, harder and more durable than epoxy.

old masters is optionally catalyzed, but not as hard of a finish as a real 2K.

stays clear is one of the better options for a non catalyzed finish as it uses a non yellowing resin and has a high amount of urethane.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Best is a poorly defined term. A product might have better technical specs, but if you're not familiar with it, it may be a poor choice (unless you willing to spend some time experimenting on scrap first).

I haven't used Enduro's (misnamed) Conversion Varnish that cocomonkeynuts mentions, but I have heard good things about it. I believe its meant to be sprayed. Personally, I spray everything I can, but I wouldn't necessarily recommended that if all the OP was interested in was this one table top.

I don't believe there are any technical advantages to a "factory baked coating" other than a shorter cure time.

To the OP: What Varathane product was used (oil or waterborne)? What type and color of paint was used underneath? Were any glazes, stains, etc. used during the distressing process?

·
Usually Confused
9,162 Posts
Perhaps the title doesn't match the thread. It's a little late to ask 'the best' when the finish is already down. The OP is really asking how to mitigate or improve upon an apparent failure of the topcoat. I have no clue about turmeric-proof topcoats, with the possible exception of perhaps epoxy.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
I used standard Minwax polyurethane on a couple table tops and it seems nothing can damage them. Granted I haven't intentionally tried to stain them with tumeric, but a lot of other things have gotten on there. Let's be realistic - we don't need garage floor epoxies on our table tops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.