DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to be getting started on the construction of my 40x45 RV Garage in the next few weeks. I plan to pick up a Milwaukee (pneumatic) nail gun for the project. I've read tons of threads on which gun is best, what brand nails etc. But i cant find any straight forward advise on what size collated nails to use. I know that framing requires a 3 1/4" 16d but my local Home Depot only sells 3-1/4" .131 for framing and 2 1/2" .113 for the siding. What are you guys using and what have you found that is most common?

Also should I use ring shanked for the siding?

Thank you

·
Naildriver
12,090 Posts
The .131 nails are your standard nails and will suffice. Some localities require round head nails, so be sure it isn't using clip head nails, or that it is permissible to use them. Yes, use ring shanked nails on the siding, although you didn't say what type siding you were using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The .131 nails are your standard nails and will suffice. Some localities require round head nails, so be sure it isn't using clip head nails, or that it is permissible to use them. Yes, use ring shanked nails on the siding, although you didn't say what type siding you were using.

Thanks Larry

For the sheathing I will be using 1/2" OSB.

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
With post and beam you will be using metal brackets and hanger nails too. That is a special gun with hanger nails and it is well worth the investment.

If you are using treated 6x6 all related nails need to be galvanized.

·
Naildriver
12,090 Posts
Better, too, HOt Dipped Galvanized. The gun Neal is referring to is called a Bostitch Strap Shot or a Positive Placement nailer. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up a palm nailer for all of the joist hangers and joist nails. I'm going Hot Dipped Galvanized for everything - framing, siding, and joist hanger nails. I'm planning on 3-1/4" x .131 for the framing and 2-3/8" x .113 ringed shank for the OSB siding and roof deck. All nails are full round head. I hope I got everything covered!

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,898 Posts
Better, too, HOt Dipped Galvanized. The gun Neal is referring to is called a Bostitch Strap Shot or a Positive Placement nailer. Well worth the investment.
Sometimes known as a Tico...which is nice....used them...never owned one and the palm nailer was fine....and palm nailer fits alot of places that the gun cant hit , at least in Cali earthquake framing with Simson a34"s plate to joist requirements.

Ya got it covered......

(Even in Cali with call-outs for common 16Ds, the BO's allow 131"s.
Do they even make a gun that shoots a 16 common...?)

Get the common 21 degree gun (full round head and universally available accepted standard framer)

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
Sometimes known as a Tico
I was spending one day biching about nailing hanger nails and went home and found the strapshot gun on line. Asked our normal supplier if he could get us one. He said we have had them for a couple years, no one ever asked for them so I left them in storage. :vs_mad: Later he said he had a run on them, everybody wants them.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,898 Posts
I was spending one day biching about nailing hanger nails and went home and found the strapshot gun on line. Asked our normal supplier if he could get us one. He said we have had them for a couple years, no one ever asked for them so I left them in storage. :vs_mad: Later he said he had a run on them, everybody wants them.
Yeah...I want one too, but I'm pretty much retireed

They are nice...not sure if theve come down in price....and sure saves some black and blue finger nails.:wink2:

Never quite knew why we call them Ticos.....?

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
Yeah...I want one too, but I'm pretty much retireed

They are nice...not sure if theve come down in price....and sure saves some black and blue finger nails.:wink2:

Never quite knew why we call them Ticos.....?
now they have guns for two sizes of nails 1 1/2 and 2 and some inches.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
So Tico was the company that used to make them before it went out of business. basically a ten penny diameter shaft but at an inch and a half length. These days around here inspectors look for the number 10 stamped on the head. Palm nailer works just fine for a one man show. For production type work, the strap shot is great.

·
Naildriver
12,090 Posts
My Bostitch shoots both 1 1/2" and 2" nails (separate slots). I found I was paying a helper to tap,tap,tap joist hanger nails with a hammer and did a rudimentary time and motion study. Then I bought a palm nailer. Much faster, but it ate all my air up and the jobsite compressor couldn't really keep up. They came the Strap Shot. Where it was taking him well over 2 minutes to tap in 12 hanger nails per hanger, it was now taking him 15 seconds. Labor savings alone made it worth the purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts