DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
updating an older home (1927) and would like to replace all the receptacles/switches/plates with newer Lutron style white switches, where is the best place to order these or pick them up? Not sure if its worth shopping online or if the big box convenience negates cost difference?
Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Does Lutron even make simple switches? I thought they just made dimmers...

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
...would like to replace all the receptacles/switches/plates with newer style white switches...
You can't beat the big box stores for the plain vanilla.
White devices are about as vanilla as it gets.

btw: Lutron is a brand not a style (Leviton calls them "Decora")

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does Lutron even make simple switches? I thought they just made dimmers...
Yeah they make switches, receptacles, occupancy/vacancy sensors, fan controls, phone/data accessories and the like. They also have something like 25 designer color options that are a nice matte finish rather than the usual cheap glossy plastic.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
updating an older home (1927) and would like to replace all the receptacles/switches/plates with newer Lutron style white switches, where is the best place to order these or pick them up? Not sure if its worth shopping online or if the big box convenience negates cost difference?
Thanks! :thumbup:
Why don't you do your own shopping and check the big box stores sites. We don't know where you live or how far you'd have to drive.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Why don't you do your own shopping and check the big box stores sites. We don't know where you live or how far you'd have to drive.
Or what "newer Lutron style white switches" even means.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Any box stores going to have them, just look for the contractor packs.
Have this home been rewired so there's a ground.
If not then your going to have to use GFI's for outlets to be legal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any box stores going to have them, just look for the contractor packs.
Have this home been rewired so there's a ground.
If not then your going to have to use GFI's for outlets to be legal.
pardon my ignorance, but this has been a long process, and I'm still unclear on the grounding of outlets. Half the outlets are newer service and the other half are the knob and tube 2-prong outlets. With respect to the latter, I can just use GFI's and they will then be grounded? Every electrician I spoke to gave me a different theory:

a) need new wiring to be grounded
b) if box is grounded (metal) you can use GFI
b) GFI will work on any box type with any wiring

which is correct?

·
Hell of a fella
40 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but this has been a long process, and I'm still unclear on the grounding of outlets. Half the outlets are newer service and the other half are the knob and tube 2-prong outlets. With respect to the latter, I can just use GFI's and they will then be grounded? Every electrician I spoke to gave me a different theory:

a) need new wiring to be grounded
b) if box is grounded (metal) you can use GFI
b) GFI will work on any box type with any wiring

which is correct?
a. yes...any new wiring would have a ground anyway i think.
b. sure if the box is metal then you could ground the receptacle to it
c. yes

keep in mind...using a gfi on the older wiring doesn't mean it's grounded. one of the pros on here can confirm, but i believe it must be labeled "no equipment ground"

·
Registered
779 Posts
DrumBum said:
a. yes...any new wiring would have a ground anyway i think.
b. sure if the box is metal then you could ground the receptacle to it
c. yes

keep in mind...using a gfi on the older wiring doesn't mean it's grounded. one of the pros on here can confirm, but i believe it must be labeled "no equipment ground"
yes, gfci receptacles on non-grounded circuits must be labeled as such. if a gfci circuit breaker is used, it also must be labeled 'gfci protected'.

also note that if the 2011 code is in effect, any replacement receptacles also need to be tamper-resistant, if the receptacle would need to be tamper-resistant if it was a brand new installation.

·
1,081 Posts
To muddy the waters a bit, a metal box is not neccessarily grounded. With the power off to that circuit look for a ground wire tucked in the back of the box or use a meter. Also your new wiring may not be grounded if it is fed by knob and tube rather than running all the way to your panel.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
A little off the subject, but I would like to get modern appearing push button light switches/plates (white or brushed stainless) for architectural decor and appearances -not outlets. Obviously, the big boxes have nothing, but just looking for sources, but I may not be using the right terms to get the right hits.

Dick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts