DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im currently remodeling my house and Im getting close to having to decide what type of flooring I wanna go with in the lower level. Its a bilevel home so the floor is obviously below grade. I have had the house for almost 2 years and have yet to come across any water and I don't even think I have any moisture coming up through the floor. I have done some looking at possibilities but just wanna get some input from others from experience. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used the platon system which is a dimpled plastic sheeting that elevates the flooring off the cold concrete. You lay a weedblock landscape fabric first which basically keeps the plastic from clicking when walked on. Then you roll out the platon and tape the seams. Then you put your underlayment over that. Then your flooring. I used a click-lock bamboo. Bamboo is good below grade because it is a very stable flooring. Plus its sustainably grown and generally cheaper than a lot of other woods.

Platon video

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive never heard of that.. But I actually am intrigued.. Im assuming you can only get that Platon from the number/website in the video?? So did you lay the weedblock first just as a choice or is it preferred and just not shown in the video?? I actually have looked at cork flooring but there aren't much choices so bamboo would be alittle better for that aspect...

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
We can safely say it hasn't rained on that dirt under your concrete since the house was built so I seriously doubt any water is going to surface. If moisture wicked through concrete as many would have us believe all parking lots and concrete drive surfaces would be wet 24/7. I've had carpet in my basement for over 30 years the same as the upper level and love it. Makes for a nice warm feeling room.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,096 Posts
Just to clarify, bamboo is not wood, it is grass. But anyway, I have installed thousands of yards of carpet below grade with no problem. But if you don't have moisture problems, there is ceramic or vinyl or almost anything. With the right adhesive, even wood is an option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Basement flooring

I'm in the same boat for my basement flooring. I have 675 sq feet to do and I was looking for some cheap permanent options. I have looked at epoxying the floor (will run about $800) and I have looked into sheet vinyl as well. I'm looking to use our basement as another family room/playroom for future kids. Any suggestions?

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,096 Posts
It all depends on moisture, all of these products like in the ad above, won't work if there is moisture. Mold will grow under them. Carpet, actually will let the moisture evaporate and ceramic isn't really affected by moisture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.