DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our house I am removing all the carpets and installing "Cliks by Daltile", a floating ceramic tile floor that clicks together - no mortar, thinset or grout needed. One bedroom had plywood subfloor that I cleaned then sealed with 2 coats of Kilz Primer. Next bedroom has a masonite/hardwood floor with pet stains that need to be cleaned then sealed. I have read that it is hard for anything to stick to masonite and I need to use a laquer sanding sealer (2 coats) then Kilz will stick to it. Why would I need to use the primer? Won't the lacquer seal everything in the subfloor? Thanks for any help!

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,644 Posts
I agree with O'Mike. Masonite was supposed to be installed rough side up, but most people installed it smooth side up and nothing will stick to it.

Reactions: joecaption

·
Registered
37,337 Posts
One over many build it faster and cheaper ideas that just did not work out.
Masonite siding, particle board, using 1/2 for subflooring, Quest plumbing, Cellotex sheathing all come to mind.

·
K&B Designer
350 Posts
I'd also suggest you rethink this "floating ceramic tile" product. It's another "shortcut" similar to the masonite that you will probably regret. There are a LONG line of previous iterations of that that have done nothing but have claims and been discontinued. Tile requires a SOLID subfloor with no deflection, which is the very opposite conditions given by floating a floor. If you want a tile floor, you can certainly DIY a tile install. But, it won't be done with a shortcut method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thank you all for the replies to my question - replacing the masonite is the way to do it right but I am keeping the "Cliks" tile. I have already used it in one room and love the way it turned out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts