DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only plan on using this ladder to clean gutters like 4 times a year, but is there an alternative to the conventional extension ladder that can get me up 3 stories? I have one of the smaller telescoping ladders and love it, just not sure if anyone has tried the larger ones up that high. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
You may want to pick up some disposable diapers.

I had to deal with clearing snow and ice off of a 20' to 30' roof, 5/12 pitch. My thoughts (never built it) was to create an access through a ceiling/roof hatch so I could exit to the roof from inside the house. Then with proper ropes and harness I could easily access everywhere. If your slope is modest it sure would beat a 3 story ladder.

Note, I re-shingled my cape roof recently (9/12) and with a really sturdy 5/8" rope tied off getting around was a piece of cake.

PS, my 16' extension ladder goes to 30+ feet and no way am I working off the top of it, let alone another 10 feet or so.

Bud

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,899 Posts
AGREE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had a 36 that was a PITA for one person......had to place it against a tree to get it vertical....and then wrestle it over to it's work spot.

If possible, I like buds idea for access on a regular basis to gutters. Get a good climbing belt and put some good tie offs I bolts into a chimney or something.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,658 Posts
Cleaning 4 times per year. Sounds to me like some near by trees need cutting.
Install screens to keep leaves out.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have a tall 3 story house with a full walk in attic that has 16ft ceiling height. I rented a boom truck for the last time I cleaned the gutters. with a porch roof 3/4 of the way around the house, I could not use a ladder. While I had it, I looked at all the chimney's for damage etc...
After that time, I rented the same 60 foot boom truck to replace all the gutters with half moon 6 inch copper gutters. I have had all the trees removed that were too close to the house. They had not been maintained well and were not in the best of health. We still have a few large trees, but none close/over the roof of the house. I would not have attempted this using a ladder. You have to think about the over hang of the roof. And for something that high, I would never think of using an aluminum ladder. It will only bow in the middle.
I did install eye bolts along the path of the roof above the porch. That way I can easily step out of a window and walk the roof to wash the windows. I ran a rubber coated steel cable thru all the eye bolts, and I wear a harness while working up there.
For maintenance on the upper roof area, I have a drone with a camera I use to check the condition of things first. Then if something is incorrect, or needing maintenance, I will rent the boom truck for that roof.

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
A 40' Werner Fiberglass extension ladder is 125 lbs. The aluminum one is 100 lbs, and I wouldn't want to get up on that!

I was on a quest for years for that very thing, then gave up on it. There's no way to get a boom truck in my back yard, so I just plan to hire out things like that when the time comes. And that type of thing really bugs me.

·
retired painter
10,940 Posts
A 40' Werner Fiberglass extension ladder is 125 lbs. The aluminum one is 100 lbs, and I wouldn't want to get up on that!

I was on a quest for years for that very thing, then gave up on it. There's no way to get a boom truck in my back yard, so I just plan to hire out things like that when the time comes. And that type of thing really bugs me.

I think those figures are wrong!

Type III ladder is rated for 200 lbs
Type II ladder for 225 lbs
Type I ladder is rated for 250 lbs
I'm not sure what the rating is for with a Type IA but it's heavier duty than type I

Personally I won't own a type III ladder and I don't want a type II that is over 24' Most of my ladders are type I. The heavier ladders are more stable and don't get wobbly as the age like the light weight ones do.

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
I think those figures are wrong!

Type III ladder is rated for 200 lbs
Type II ladder for 225 lbs
Type I ladder is rated for 250 lbs
I'm not sure what the rating is for with a Type IA but it's heavier duty than type I

Personally I won't own a type III ladder and I don't want a type II that is over 24' Most of my ladders are type I. The heavier ladders are more stable and don't get wobbly as the age like the light weight ones do.
I just did a quick google and found the link at HD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-...apacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-D7140-2/203134431

:shrug:

Either way, I've lifted them up before and thought I would not want to be horsing it around my yard. And I'm a big dude, fairly young and strong. :vs_whistle:

**edit
I was talking ladder weight not ladder rating.

·
Naildriver
12,112 Posts
This is "it" nowadays. I don't like ladders. If you hire someone to do the work, make sure they are insured and check your own homeowner's policy. It ain't the fall.....it's the sudden stop.

Attachments

Reactions: raylo32

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a similar layout, and I get by with only putting a ladder on the deck, and reaching the gutters to the left and right with a cleaning stick that I made. It's a 12' poplar 1x2" with a piece of plastic on the end that matches the bottom of the gutter, cut from a 6" wide plastic spatula. I have to jump the stick where the hangers are, but that's better than working off the ground with a much longer ladder.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
You’ll not get a ladder around the whole house with that porch and such.
Rent a boom lift. 1000% more stable, safer, and easier to use.
This is coming from someone who uses ladders and accesses a lot of rooftop areas.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have owned a lot of ladders and I like Louisville fiberglass the best. Flat top rungs are easy on the feet. They don’t conduct electricity, either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts