DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Hello oh all wise and all knowing members of the DIY Forum. Today's topic is epoxy floor coatings for the DIY'er.

Question what is the best or better epoxy floor coatings.

I was looking at this product

EPOXY-COAT

https://www.epoxy-coat.com/

:glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

Best for what application? What environment will this be in?

Can you spec hot solvents are do you need to stick with waterborne?

Whatever product you use is heavily dependent on what substrate you are applying to and surface preparation is key to having a epoxy that doesn't immediately fail.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Is:

"The one that someone does for my garage floor that looks good and lasts a long time and does it for free."

a valid response?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Is:

"The one that someone does for my garage floor that looks good and lasts a long time and does it for free."

a valid response?

Is the a vapor barrier installed? If not forget about any epoxy coating.

Prep is the key to make it last a long time. Skip the prep at your own peril.

Clean thoroughly using oil and grease emulsifier, pressure wash rinse.
Use a floor grinder, you want the concrete for feel like medium grit paper.
Thoroughly remove all dust and let dry at least 48 hours.

Most epoxy are self priming on concrete and over previous finish but highly recommend to apply a penetrating sealer like corotech V155 or V156.

Top coat with a solvent polyamide epoxy like corotech V400 or corotech V440 waterborne amine .

Optionally apply a urethane top coat. Again there are solvent or waterborne options.

Corotech V156 + V440 is sufficient for most DIY and light-medium industrial jobs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best for what application? What environment will this be in?

Can you spec hot solvents are do you need to stick with waterborne?

Whatever product you use is heavily dependent on what substrate you are applying to and surface preparation is key to having a epoxy that doesn't immediately fail.
It will be in a Chem Lab but I don't believe it will be subject to any harsh solvents.

One thing the concrete has been painted with latex pant.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
It will be in a Chem Lab but I don't believe it will be subject to any harsh solvents.

One thing the concrete has been painted with latex pant.
solvent polyamide epoxy are a bit more durable and suitable for immersion use but then you have to deal with hot solvents in an occupied area. I would spec corotech v440 waterborne amine. You can purchase it from most benjaminmoore retailers. Comes in a few stock colors and tintable to any color you want.

Previously painted floors:

clean using a mild detergent like dirtex or appropriate solvent for what chemical remains.
Scrape any loose paint, anything tightly adhered can stay. scuff sand with ~120 grit. If the existing coating has failed everywhere then you should remove the coating by grinding to bare concrete.
thoroughly remove paint dust.
2 coats with corotech V440 waterborne amine. This is a catalyzed epoxy and once mixed goes on like regular paint with a 4 hour pot life.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
solvent polyamide epoxy are a bit more durable and suitable for immersion use but then you have to deal with hot solvents in an occupied area. I would spec corotech v440 waterborne amine. You can purchase it from most benjaminmoore retailers. Comes in a few stock colors and tintable to any color you want.

Previously painted floors:

clean using a mild detergent like dirtex or appropriate solvent for what chemical remains.
Scrape any loose paint, anything tightly adhered can stay. scuff sand with ~120 grit. If the existing coating has failed everywhere then you should remove the coating by grinding to bare concrete.
thoroughly remove paint dust.
2 coats with corotech V440 waterborne amine. This is a catalyzed epoxy and once mixed goes on like regular paint with a 4 hour pot life.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise but specifically why do you choose corotech V440 waterborne amine over the EPOXY-COAT product....ease of use?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise but specifically why do you choose corotech V440 waterborne amine over the EPOXY-COAT product....ease of use?

ease of use and availability opposed to 100% solids and solvent/polyamide epoxy kits.

V440 is waterborne, soap and water clean up, can be applied over existing finishes, applies like any other latex paint, comes in 1 gallon kits and can be purchased from any BM dealer instead of having to ship multiple gallon epoxy kits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.