DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think has the best price/service for cable TV, internet and phone services combined going nowadays? I'm so inundated with promotions, flyers, and offers, but when it comes right down to it, it seems like they advertise one thing, then you order and they tell you one thing, then charge you a different pricing plan on your bill.

I just ordered cable TV with a local cable company in So. California and thought I was to be paying about $129/month and opened their bill to see a charge of over $200. Nothing about their bill reflects anything about my pricing plan, and I'm fit to be tied. I have nothing but standard service plus HBO and Showtime, and no DVR, no extra set top box, nothing fancy.

Add to this their internet service is incredibly slow and they run some kind of local dreck on CNN Headline news during the commercial break instead of picking up the entire CNN Headline News feed and it's driving me crazy -- I'm already wearing out the mute button on the new remote. I'm ready to drop them now just after 10 days of installation -- what a hassle and nightmare this has been -- such a poor choice Charter Cable has been.

Any suggestions?

FlowerChick

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have WOW. DVR, around 80 channels basic cable, unlimited phone service and 11 meg internet. $115/month total. Every year, they increase the price $15. I call up and ***** and they give me a $15 discount.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's "WOW ?". Is that something available locally in your area? I'm in So. California and have never heard of this and I consider myself fairly tech savvy.... I watch a lot of cable news and have never seen a TV ad. Please do tell more, many thanks.

FlowerChick

·
A Little Of Everything
2,398 Posts
We have a digital antenna on our TV, and we subscribe to Netflix. We pay $7.99 per month to watch TV and movies.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What's "WOW ?". Is that something available locally in your area? I'm in So. California and have never heard of this and I consider myself fairly tech savvy.... I watch a lot of cable news and have never seen a TV ad. Please do tell more, many thanks.

FlowerChick
Wide Open West. Maybe Google it ? Its been in the midwest for years. Didnt know it is not available in Cali.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, television packages cost a lot in America!

The biggest TV packages you can get here (UK) which include every single TV channel and your phone and broadband are about £60 (about $93)....

·
A Little Of Everything
2,398 Posts
Wow, television packages cost a lot in America!

The biggest TV packages you can get here (UK) which include every single TV channel and your phone and broadband are about £60 (about $93)....
Yeah, but you pay more than double what we do for gasoline, so we're going to call it a wash! :laughing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got Netflix too -- it's wonderful! I dropped Hulu since I'm not much of a network TV viewer.

I checked out WOW after finding it through a Google search -- it seems it's a midwest only service provider.

The Consumerist website looks cool -- definitely worth checking out!

Time Warner Cable is awful -- this much I know -- Ive had the displeasure of their services in a few Southern California locations where I've lived in the last decade, and I'm sure many other smaller cable companies follow in their footsteps...

In my opinion two of America's biggest rip-offs are cable TV and public storage! Now that we have the internet to enjoy, I think our TV viewing options will be rapidly changing soon enough and we can pick and choose what we really want to enjoy... All I'm really interested in watching are networks like CNN, HBO, Showtime, public television and a few other favorites, and that's it... the other 1000+ channels of nothingness are really time wasters in my opinion and pure dreck. I've begun to read more anyhow and with services like Netflix and Hulu, companies like Time Warner Cable will have to lower pricing to remain competetive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got Netflix too -- it's wonderful! I dropped Hulu since I'm not much of a network TV viewer.

I checked out WOW after finding it through a Google search -- it seems it's a midwest only service provider.

The Consumerist website looks cool -- definitely worth checking out!

Time Warner Cable is awful -- this much I know -- Ive had the displeasure of their services in a few Southern California locations where I've lived in the last decade, and I'm sure many other smaller cable companies follow in their footsteps...

In my opinion two of America's biggest rip-offs are cable TV and public storage! Now that we have the internet to enjoy, I think our TV viewing options will be rapidly changing soon enough and we can pick and choose what we really want to enjoy... All I'm really interested in watching are networks like CNN, HBO, Showtime, public television and a few other favorites, and that's it... the other 1000+ channels of nothingness are really time wasters in my opinion and pure dreck. I've begun to read more anyhow and with services like Netflix and Hulu, companies like Time Warner Cable will have to lower pricing to remain competetive.
Really hoping Netflix will arrive over here soon. Reports are saying it will be launched early 2012.

How good is it really? I mean, how often do you look for something to find it's not on there?

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Really hoping Netflix will arrive over here soon. Reports are saying it will be launched early 2012.

How good is it really? I mean, how often do you look for something to find it's not on there?
If you don't mind my opinion I'll say that it does have a lot of movies but old ones, no new releases whatsoever so very often I hunt only to be met by bitter, bitter disappointment. They don't even have movies that are out on disc as of two years ago such as any of the X-Men movies. Now I just go to Redbox and for a dollar get new releases. It's much better IMO.

The $7.99 a month for streaming video to my computer (which I plug into my big screen and watch it there) for Netflix is almost not worth it for myself.

Btw, over here in the states it's one or the other for $7.99, streaming OR disc through the mail. If you want both it's $15.99 per month.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,181 Posts
If you don't mind my opinion I'll say that it does have a lot of movies but old ones, no new releases whatsoever so very often I hunt only to be met by bitter, bitter disappointment. They don't even have movies that are out on disc as of two years ago such as any of the X-Men movies. Now I just go to Redbox and for a dollar get new releases. It's much better IMO.

The $7.99 a month for streaming video to my computer (which I plug into my big screen and watch it there) for Netflix is almost not worth it for myself.

Btw, over here in the states it's one or the other for $7.99, streaming OR disc through the mail. If you want both it's $15.99 per month.
I dropped it for the same reason. Only old movies. I had already seen any of them that I wanted to see.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Rusty, unless something Earth shattering happens with them, I'll be dropping them this next month too. What a waste of $8. :mad:

·
Registered
83 Posts

What about television programmes? Or was I wrong in thinking it had both...?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Netflix has a ton of TV programs. My family and I have been gorging on whole series that we never saw...some of the Law & Order offshoots, Friday Night Lights, various PBS mystery series. And my two kids can watch stuff on their laptops at college off our account. Also set up my mother to watch on the iPad I gave her, again using our account but I think she hasn't figured it out. As a result I consider Netflix streaming to be the deal of the century...at least until we run out of stuff we want to watch.

As far as the best value in cable offerings, it's all about learning to negotiate with them. The key is to strip it down to basic cable and then after a period call them up and tell them that you cannot afford your service. You have to very specifically say that you cannot afford it, not that you are paying for stuff you don't watch, or don't want, or that you feel like you are paying too much. If you tell them you can't afford it that triggers a customer service script in which they will offer you discounts to keep you as a customer.

When we moved six or so months ago we ditched landline service because we both have cell phones, get a great signal at the house, and no one but telemarketers were calling our old landline anyway. That allowed us to drop the cost 25% right there. The sales person kept throwing different monthly charges at me when I was setting up new service and I kept saying "can't afford it." and that helped chisel it down further.

Also, at least with Verizon, if you even hint at having received poor service they will dole out some freebies to you like six months of Showtime or something. I think in fact that they expect that you'll forget to cancel it when it is no longer free so you need to be vigilant about that approach lol.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts

Hi there. Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking to me until just now.

As a relatively new yet dissapointed Netflix customer I have not watched all that much. And being a movie buff I hadn't even thought to search for any television series although I know I've seen a few in passing. Can't recall what they were, though.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, Amy, but Ironlight can.

In the meantime, if I and when I log back on to Netflix, I'll be more than happy to search for any series you might be interested in and let you know if they indeed do carry them.

Just name them. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts