DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Until this unusual drought here in New Orleans, 2 coats of Koster brand hydraulic cement on our concrete walls has kept our basement relatively dry for the past 10 years. Now we have water due to ground seepage.
My questions are: Is one brand of hydro cement better for my application than another?; which one(s)?
Also: Any problem with applying a different brand, for example Xypex, be applied over Koster that has been on my concrete walls for 10 years?
More: Can I purchase the stuff direct?;
Any helpful hints in applying the stuff?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Hydraulic cement is a generic product that offered by many suppliers in different bags with different company logos on them.

It has been used for decades on commercial, industrial and civil (dams, etc.) for crack repair and the slight expansion to create a tight seal even when applied to damp concrete. It works well if used properly in a relatively dry mortar that is forced into a crack. It starts curing and expansing, so small amounts are used to create small batches (a couple of cubic feet at the most).

In my opinion, it should never be used in a coating for a wall. There are better products to use.

Your problem is probably from below from local conditions.

Dick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts