DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a question that I hope you can help me answer.

My back yard is very slow to drain after it rains: we have clay soil and my property is next to a man-made wetlands.

In July I had a contractor bury two different lengths of drain tile in my back yard to shunt rainwater from my gutters & sump pump to the sides of the backyard to permit my kids to play on dry/dryer grass.

One of the lengths of drain tile, the shorter one, ends with a pop up & when the grade in my yard reaches level, the water won't drain & standing water is left in the tube.

My question is this: if the drain tile tube is full of water will the drain tile be damaged after a hard freeze? I live in Minnesota, so there WILL be a hard freeze soon.

Will the tube break and start to leak out when the ground thaws?

If it does break will I have to replace it or will it still drain water away from the house?

Any help & advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

·
retired framer
51,046 Posts
Hi all,

I have a question that I hope you can help me answer.

My back yard is very slow to drain after it rains: we have clay soil and my property is next to a man-made wetlands.

In July I had a contractor bury two different lengths of drain tile in my back yard to shunt rainwater from my gutters & sump pump to the sides of the backyard to permit my kids to play on dry/dryer grass.

One of the lengths of drain tile, the shorter one, ends with a pop up & when the grade in my yard reaches level, the water won't drain & standing water is left in the tube.

My question is this: if the drain tile tube is full of water will the drain tile be damaged after a hard freeze? I live in Minnesota, so there WILL be a hard freeze soon.

Will the tube break and start to leak out when the ground thaws?

If it does break will I have to replace it or will it still drain water away from the house?

Any help & advice would be appreciated,

Thanks
Not a good system where it can freeze, can you extend to where is just pokes out to day light while maintaining the slope. near the end it should have been laid above a good pocket of gravel with some holes in the pipe for the rest of the water to drain out.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,673 Posts
What kind of pipe? Corrugated or smooth wall? Perforated any where along the way? Gravel bed/backfill, sleeved/burrito wrapped? Depth and any slope at all along the pipe? Any way to put a swale/ditch from the emitter towards the detention/retention area? Sump pump discharge amount?

The emitter probably has a little hole in the end, but it can clog. Only for residual though, definitely not adequate for a sump pump. Make sure to remove the pop-up cap before freezing, and you probably will have to disconnect the sump and throw it to grade.

The water will freeze, but if the pipe diameter is full enough for freezing to cause damage, you would just have more perforations to dump water (or collect silt depending). You'll probably have freezing at the downspout transition and they will spill over there during dethaw.

·
Registered
54 Posts
3onthetree is right on.

Are the pipes perforated, surrounded by gravel, and is the whole gravel and pipe system wrapped in non-woven geotextile fabric with the pipes near the bottom of the trench? If not you might have gotten a so-so job. And for the water to come out the pop-up emitter it may have to go up hill a bit, which it can't, so it leaves plenty of water in the drain line/ system. Not good.
If you could abandon the emitter and run the line(s) to daylight via a gravity system that would be best.

Watch all the videos you want on youtube from "The French Drain Man" in Michigan. For kicks Tanner Flowers has some great videos too focused on crawlspace drainage issues. If you want to entertain yourself even further check out Chuck with Apple Drains, although many of his systems leave much to be desired, but can be a 'what not to do' lesson in conjunction with the 'what to do' lessons from The French Drain Man.

If your pipes are perforated and just buried in the dirt/ clay the system won't last long at all.
A deep freeze can lift the whole system if it's not deep enough and done right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts