DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. I will be finishing my basement in the near future. We have decided to go with a floating vinyl plank floor, which will be on concrete slab below grade.

We talked with the sales guy at lumber liquidators, and he suggested putting down a sheet of plastic for vapor block, using their padded underlayment, and then putting the planks on top of that. This is the underlay they sell:

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Premium-Underlayment-Sq-Ft-BELLAWOOD-BELLAPREM/10023615

While I was at Home Depot, they have an alternate product, which is:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...1&keyword=airguard&storeId=10051#.UR1pHmfWhQg

My first question is, is there much difference in these products, and would one be superior to the other. Second question is, will this provide enough insulation to keep the floors from always being really cold since they are on slab. I know they will be cool, but will it be as cold as the concrete? Third question, is there a better option to put under the floating floor that will be better, or something similar that isn't 60-80 bucks per roll?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
#1 I'd never suggest anyone lay laminite flooring in a basement.
May want to concider engineered flooring or tile. Both are below grade rated.
#Any hard surface is going to feel cold on the feet unless there's under floor heating. Has something to do with compressing the blood vessels slowing down the flow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We aren't doing laminate, we're doing vinyl. We are planning on installing ourselves. Is LL poor quality flooring or just in terms of installing? Any suggestions on alternatives for looking at flooring?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Vinyl plank below grade with a sheet of plastic that is .110 thick under it? I haven't kept up on vinyl floors, but I can not image that working at all.

Tell us exactly which floor you want to use and give a description of your floor and home. Describe the terrain and location. Are you at the top of a sandy hill?

Jaz

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that everything will have some shortcomings for below grade. Right now basement is unfinished in Michigan. Lived in the house for 5 years. Never had any type of water in the basement, no wet spots, leaks, etc. Doing spray foam on the walls. Don't want to do carpet or tile, and bamboo is out of our price range for this project. Will be flooring a open area, bedroom, and small laundry room.

House is 5 years old, with good drainage system in place. We don't have a "hill" per se, but we are at the top of the elevation change in the sub. Basement has daylight windows.

I'm open to any other suggestions for flooring, but from what I've researched, vinyl planks with the faux woodgrain seem to be the best bet.

Any help is much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.