DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had all new waterlines/plumbing done throughout my home. Thing is, when they put in the new valves in my small bathroom (no shower/bath only) they removed 3 tiles behind faucets, put new valve, and put in the new handles............. but! where the tiles are to be replaced (I am sure I can do this) but there is a opening behind there! I can see through to the other room which is my laundry room.
Now, the opening is small, and the valve is situated in such a way that a solid piece of green sheet rock can't be put back there... the gap are big but not big enough even got me to piece together the green board. how or what can I do?
At the moment I cut pieces of Styrofoam and silver tape to close the hole up. I am afraid of bugs coming up from the crawl space and YES you can see straight down.

We are NOT using the tub. it has not been used in 5 years. the plumber did turn on the faucet to make sure everything was working properly. but no bath yet. I wanted to seal my new tiles, the put silicone on the new fixtures first.
but I need help on how to close this gap/hole or fill it with something so I can put the 3 tiles in place behind these faucets.
Please advise me on this.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
If you could post a picture of what you're trying to do, that would be great. You will get better and more accurate advice/suggestions.

Click on post reply, scroll down to manage attachments, upload and post your pics from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here is the front side, and the back. as it seems a piece of green board would fit, it does not. the valve is in the way. leaving gaps. and that green board is thicker than the other board. and will not fit under the faucet behind the valve. this says 'insert link? I have the pics. but there is no attach photo!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheEplumber, I don't know how to remove the faucets? or maybe I can try? do I need to turn the water off at the street first?

I got the photos on here..... ugh I am frustrated.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
#1 No form of sheetrock should be used under tile in a wet area.
Why is there not sheetrock on the back side of this wall? Sure sounds like your going to be removing a whole lot more tiles, installing a larger repair with tile board, then the tile.
Someone one was suppose to cut out holes where the stems came through the walls, not remove the tiles.
Plumbers are not tile guys in most cases.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
I can not think of any good reason why someone removed all that tile backer.
All that was needed was three holes.

Reactions: mnp13

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the subway tiles got installed back around 4 years ago, there was cement? backerboard placed behind the wall. holes were cut around the faucets.... thing is. the valve was not replaced. so at this, the bath was not used.... yes, 4 years it just sat there. but last month when I had new plumbing put in, they removed the tile to place a new valve. I don't know why it has 3 handles, as this is only a tub, no shower.

I don't know what to do. as I said, I placed Styrofoam behind there for now (we are NOT using the tub) just to keep bugs/spiders out.
Silicone wont fix it? ... I feel like crying now.

Don't know if this matters. I am in Atlanta.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Michelle,

What do I say? I feel like the way they put the handles on the faucet was a little wonky, but they assured me it would not leak.

They are a reputable company. Should I call them or email them?
They are still not finished with my plumbing yet.. still have yet to finish my main bathroom sink. I have a huge cut out in my bedroom waiting on them to come back out and finish (The reason they didn't finish, I ran out of money!) I was going to get them back hopefully next week.

I feel sick now.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
All's not lost-- if the plumbers are responsible for tile patch you need to have a conversation with them. Your contract will hopefully spell out the patching scope.
If they refuse to do anything for you then we can walk you through a good patch. It won't be too difficult.

as for 3 handles- you can now add a shower head relatively easily although a 2 handle valve should have been used

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Another thought. Since the plumbers are not done- perhaps you can ask them to replace the new 3 handle valve with a 2 handle valve since that is what you had originally- you have no use for a diverter handle. Or insist they hook up the shower riser and head for free :)
BTW, the handles are easily removed for the tile patch

Reactions: ginay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just re read the proposal. and it says "contractor will not be responsible for any dry wall disturbance"

........... Now what? I am sitting here in tears now. I am trying so hard to get my home repaired before winter. I went with out water almost 7 months! my pipes froze and burst when we had that freeze on Jan 7. and NO water what so ever.( it was HORRIBLE) I just had everything replaced. and now this.

***And if you are wondering why my insurance didn't cover the water pipe bursting- because we had no heat in the house. "failure to maintain" not only did we freeze, but had no water neither. uugh.

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
I would ask them to finish the work. Were there tiles there when they started? Then there should be tiles there (with appropriate backing) now that they are finished. Leaving a hole into the wall is shoddy work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.