DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm turning a small bedroom into an ensuite bathroom. The room has the original drywall from 1956 with a think layer of plaster over top. It's hard as rock.

I'll be putting cement board (or something similar) in the shower area and under the floor (both areas will be tiled), but was wondering if it is worth the effort of ripping out all the drywall/plaster in the other areas? I have a few walls down already so I'll put the MR board up there, but was wondering if it is really worth the time to rip down the rest. I can coat the existing walls in a MR paint and would it not be the same as putting up MR board? It's mainly the ceiling that will be a huge pain in the ass.

I'll be putting in a high quality fan on a timer to help keep moisture out of the room. I live in Edmonton, Canada so we don't have a lot of natural humidity or wetness either.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,221 Posts
The answer depends on how cracked the stuff is.

Massive cracks are hard to seal , and is usually removed.

Smaller (miniscule) cracks can be sealed with a good paint .

And how much damage is made by installing the fan, it pulls all the moist air right to the area, and any damage absorbs the moisture before it can be exhausted.

ED

1 - 2 of 2 Posts