DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Its about 10 years old and I can hear the bearing is starting to slightly wear or maybe its the motor in general.

A few nights ago I turned on the fan before I went to bed.

When I woke at 3am I noticed the fan was not on.

I tried to turn it on and off, but it would not work.

I was able to turn on the light so I know the fan is getting power.

The next day at 2pm in the afternoon I tried to turn the fan on and it actually worked.

That evening I turned the fan on before bed and it worked.

When I woke in the morning it was off again, but this time I could never make the fan work again.

There are 2 capacitors in this unit.

One has 4 wires.

One has 2 wires.

Which capacitor is for the light and which capacitor is for the fan?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Hunter fan company. They will give me a new electric motor for free under the warranty.

Now I need to proactively identify the "fan" capacitor.

Input device Peripheral Ventilation fan Output device Font

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,384 Posts
The one with 2 wires is not capacitor. It is a current limiter got the light.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good identification on the current limiter.

Now I know the problem with the fan not working is:

• the fan capacitor or
  • the fan motor

I think I have ruled out the on/off switch and the reverse switch.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If it is a motor beating, the capacitor did its job by shutting down...to fix a fan bearing is prob not worth the time. If you replace the capacitor, it may work for awhile but the root problem was not resolved and it's going to happen again...Someone usually has an old fan somewhere that is not being used...pull it's capacitor [make sure same or near same spec's] and plug'in'play...if this one goes too, time for a new fan...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
? What is "proactively identify" ?

It occurred to me Hunter Fan Corp will give me a new fan motor under the warranty, but the capacitor might also be bad (so I wanted to proactively identify which device was the capacitor and which was the current limiter). That way if I installed the new motor and it didn't work I would just buy a new capacitor.

Its interesting to know that the capacitor will automatically shut down the worn fan motor.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It occurred to me Hunter Fan Corp will give me a new fan motor under the warranty, but the capacitor might also be bad (so I wanted to proactively identify which device was the capacitor and which was the current limiter). That way if I installed the new motor and it didn't work I would just buy a new capacitor.

Its interesting to know that the capacitor will automatically shut down the worn fan motor.

heheheheh... ya' missed the wisecrack...
what's the difference between 'identify' and 'proactively' identify ?

My odd humor... joshin' ya' about word usage 😀 (y)

Great that Hunter is taking care of you... says much for them.
The thread may help someone in the future.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm shocked that a Hunter broke after only 10 years. I've got one going strong at 40+, used 8+ hours every day. I would guess Hunter will replace whatever components you need.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the fan is under warranty, Hunter should replace the capacitor if it's bad, too.
Hunter requires I send the old motor back to them and they'll send me a new one.

I don't know if the existing capacitor is bad until I assemble the fan (with the new motor and it doesn't operate).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts