DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to purchase 30 yr old home
and i noticed in a basement that one steel support beam is sinking into the wood.
i can email pics
is that a huge problem or just a big problem?

Attachments

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Are you positive this house is only 30 years old, 1979? Looks way older than what I'm used to seeing in my area.

It seams that post was an after thought, as it's under a floor joist (that's failing), not a beam. Another floor joist of 2 could probably be "sistered" on to it, but you would be best having someone look at it in person.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Is the wood soft, have holes in it?

Possible termite problem

Could be a big problem, looks like the next beam has the same problem? So either termites, ants, other bugs, or the beam has too much pressure on it

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
What the others said. The post is an add on, and the joist does appear to have either rot and/or insect problems. And all the wood looks weathered. Is this in a closed crawl space???

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
If I saw a 30 year old house with a problem like this, I wouldn't walk away, I'd run. Are you sure you don't mean 130? There is obviously a defect that would place that much load on a single joist and cause it to crush around the telepost. The method someone chose for a temporary repair is worse than poor. The post insn't sinking into the wood, the wood is collapsing around the post. This needs some serious evaluation by an inspector or an engineer. Certainly looks like something resulting from a termite problem.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If this is a 30 yeard old house, it's had a very, very hard life.
The junction box would dispute that age. It looks to be from the '30's 0r '40's. But the joist size seems to indicate a post WW ll aged house. They seem closer in size to today's dimensions then actual 2x12's. But it could be the camera angle.
There are water stains on the crushed joist. Are they all water stained? Is that the only joist with a support? How far away from the foundation wall is this post? Insect damage usually starts at the perimeter and works it's way into the house.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts