DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to open our staircase in our home. The wall that WAS there is removed and I am sizing a header to put in its place. Opening will be 98” and the floor joists above the area are approx 13’ 4” to the girter. Every table I look through only sizes beams with roof loads and floor loads, but this application will only be supporting the above floor, no other load will be on it.
The specs that fit my application (with roof load included) call for (3) 2x12 and 2 jack studs. I would REALLY like to cut that down to (2) 2x12 with 2 jack studs but if I can’t, o well. Can someone give me some guidance as to where I can find the table I’m looking for.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Lumber beam can be reduced in size if using lvls. Go to a lumber yard and ask if lvl manufacturer can help with figuring out the engineering specs. But replacing a wall with headers and supports mean you need new footings for new loads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lumber beam can be reduced in size if using lvls. Go to a lumber yard and ask if lvl manufacturer can help with figuring out the engineering specs. But replacing a wall with headers and supports mean you need new footings for new loads.
We poured 2 new footings in basement directly under the stairway to accommodate for this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts