DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if it is acceptable to use 3/4" beadboad plywood on my porch roof so that I get the beadboard look underneath, but have exposed beams. I would put shingles on top of the 3/4" beadboard plywood. Is this something that people do? Is the 3/4" beadboard plywood durable enough for roofing applications? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you can do that,but you need too probably hand nail the roofing on with 3/4'' roofers,the smallest gun nail i believe is 1'' and will penetrate through the beadboard sheathing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I might do is cover the 3/4" beadboard ply with 1/4" or 11/32" OSB and then use 1" or 7/8" roofing nails. Thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got an even better idea...less expensive. Use 1/4" beadboard ply first and cover that with 3/4" OSB. Save some money and get the same effect.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
yea like that wouldn't happen to any kind of sheathing...give me a break

i have never seen osb turn to mush from intermitant wetting,but i have seen plywood delaminate :yes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
place down your boards then sheet the roof with plywood, chalk your trusses so you dont nail through into your fancy beadboard ;). depending on anything less then a 4-12 youll need to use ice and water underlay. but thats your discretion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I know this is a very old thread, but I'm wondering how the beadboard has held up to heat being attached directly to the porch roof sheathing.

On my screen porch project, I'm considering applying 3/8" beadboard on top of the rafters, then 1/2" plywood followed by tar paper and shingles. I'm just not sure if the summer NC heat coming through the rough will damage the beadboard?

Has anyone done this?

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
strubles right.. the only way osb will turn into that mess is if the roofer makes every attempt possible to make sure water does get in under the shingles and ice and water shield....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I know this is a very old thread, but I'm wondering how the beadboard has held up to heat being attached directly to the porch roof sheathing.

On my screen porch project, I'm considering applying 3/8" beadboard on top of the rafters, then 1/2" plywood followed by tar paper and shingles. I'm just not sure if the summer NC heat coming through the rough will damage the beadboard?

Has anyone done this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts