DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 years ago I had a contractor replace most of the trim on my giant 2-story bay window (3 story townhouse) with PVC. However, during this current humid summer, some of the 'inner' trim areas of the bay window seem to be rotting again since those sections were seemingly not replaced with PVC. As you can see though, it looks different from how the old trim was rotting as the current rot seems like someone was chipping at it or something compared to the old water swelling rot. Any tips on what to do would be appreciated.

Pictures:
This was the old trim that was rotting and replaced (issue was on much of the window)

This is the current rotting issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly not, but I'm surprised it lasted such a short amount of time. Even the old all wood trim didn't have this amount of cracking in 20ish years (just more serious water damage on certain areas). This issue pretty much just popped up all at once during this current summer.

·
retired framer
53,526 Posts
Clearly not, but I'm surprised it lasted such a short amount of time. Even the old all wood trim didn't have this amount of cracking in 20ish years (just more serious water damage on certain areas). This issue pretty much just popped up all at once during this current summer.
Are you sure it is swelled or is it expanded with no where to go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts