DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to just use the battery back up sump as the only pump. I noticed that some people keep both the standard electric sump as well as the battery sump in the well.

Also, when it says the battery is good for 7.5 hours does that mean the pump it self would run for 7.5 hours? Meaning if the pump during a storm only pumps 3 times, it would be good for a week with out power?

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
I would NOT. Those pumps are only meant for use once a year and not continuos duty many times a day. They are meant for emergency use and will wear out a lot sooner than a pump meant for continuos or heavy use. Those hour ratings are under IDEAL conditions with a minimum of pipe and resistance. Batteries lose capacity with age just like a car battery so I would not rely on it for anything other than emergency use. Motors and pumps are rated for continuos or heavy duty/usage, intermittent and emergency use and priced/built for that use and to last a certain number of hours/duty cycles etc. Emergency use means just that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts