DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Batt insulation in attic rafters without drywall?

539 Views 19 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Akcabin
Triangle Slope Rectangle Font Parallel

I’m in zone 3 using rockwool batts

As long as my roof is vented between my rafters can I insulate between them in my attic without covering it with drywall?

I have a small space in my roof that I’m not heating but I want the roof to be insulated, I won’t be able to drywall there because of ductwork

Is ok to have insulation in this space with no drywall?
Reactions: Akcabin
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Bring your insulation to the knee wall and allow the rafter to breathe. I trust you do have soffit venting as well as a ridge vent. Baffles are needed along the run to allow air to pass over your insulation and out to the atmosphere.

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
If you still have access to the back of the receptacles, spray foam around the perimeter of the box to help keep air infiltration to a minimum.

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Air sealing between atmospheres is critical. You have a conditioned side and an unconditioned side.

Spray foam is flammable as it comes out of the tube, and will smolder if direct flame is applied. The small amounts you will be using will be negligible for fire, but will help immensely with air flow.

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Conditioned and unconditioned air will migrate no matter what your zone is. I'm not sure of your temperature extremes, but I'd say you are rather warm. I'd like to keep my air conditioning in the living space.

· Naildriver
23,268 Posts
Moisture will be carried upward toward the ridge vent, and replaced by fresh air from the soffits. I think you will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts