DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am ready to start my bathroom renovations, and am just inquiring on how to disconnect the drain and the overflow without having an access panel?

thanks in advance.

Joe

·
6,520 Posts
It is best to access it from below. A 12" hole in the ceiling of the room below is what it'll take in many/most circumstances.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello,

I am ready to start my bathroom renovations, and am just inquiring on how to disconnect the drain and the overflow without having an access panel?

thanks in advance.

Joe
You'll either have to go through the wall in the adjoining room or get at it from below via the crawl space or the downstairs room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll either have to go through the wall in the adjoining room or get at it from below via the crawl space or the downstairs room.

The water pipes and drain pipes are on the outside wall which is insulated, it is directly above my kitchen on main floor, and below my attic.

Will there be shutoff valves in my crawl space? or attic perhaps?

is there any other way without tearing apart a wall in a adjoining room?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
For some reason (probably cost) few tubs have shut-off valves installed. Access is always from an adjoining room or the ceiling/floor below. If needing to access through and adjoining room, buying an access panel, and installing it for future use, is always a good idea.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Of course you can always cut up the tub and then disconnect but you would still need to demo to make the new connections. Unfortunately there is generally no way to get around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts