DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a deluge of rain last night and luckily I screwed in the standpipe for the lower level utility room drain. But, we did have sewage backup in the bathtub. I was wondering if anyone has fashioned a removable standpipe for a bathtub. I was thinking of something like a PVC pipe with a couple of inches of rubber that could be forced/twisted into the drain and hopefully prevent that sludge from getting in the tub.

Any ideas, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks

· retired framer
72,090 Posts
We had a deluge of rain last night and luckily I screwed in the standpipe for the lower level utility room drain. But, we did have sewage backup in the bathtub. I was wondering if anyone has fashioned a removable standpipe for a bathtub. I was thinking of something like a PVC pipe with a couple of inches of rubber that could be forced/twisted into the drain and hopefully prevent that sludge from getting in the tub.

Any ideas, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks
If the tub isn't your early warning where will it show up next. Do you really want it coming out of the tub overflow?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point, but, it’s a mess to clean out. Last night we had maybe 2-3 inches, so it wouldn’t hit the overflow. There is a toilet next to the tub and if that starts overflowing then the problem is kinda uncontrollable- had that happen 7 years ago where both were pumping out sewage uncontrollably. Right now I’d just like some way of preventing sewage in the tub and doing the clean up.

· retired framer
72,090 Posts
I see your point, but, it’s a mess to clean out. Last night we had maybe 2-3 inches, so it wouldn’t hit the overflow. There is a toilet next to the tub and if that starts overflowing then the problem is kinda uncontrollable- had that happen 7 years ago where both were pumping out sewage uncontrollably. Right now I’d just like some way of preventing sewage in the tub and doing the clean up.
Just an old fashion rubber plug or maybe a pipe with a couple O rings. If the pipe is open on top there would be no pressure to push it up.

· Remodel and New Build GC
11,768 Posts
This is not normal. Maybe have a backwater valve installed in your sewer to prevent this issue. Make sure its accessible, so you can clean off the flapper, if needed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BRUCE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes....a backwater valve and overflow into your yard.....a little digging. I'm surprized a plumber has not suggested it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I have a backwater valve. We took in sewage again a few days later with no rain. I called a plumber and there was no water in the pipe outside the house. They took the valve apart and found the flapper was clogged upon the house side. They cleaned it out and water flowed out.i let him bend the flapper so this cannot happens again and have to watch and manually close it if needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.