DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is away visiting family in the UK for the next 3 weeks and as a nice surprise I am going to try and reno our bathroom with some help from our friends. Its nothing to complex and I intend to replace all the hardware but not move anything, going to have a plumber in for fitting the bath though. My issue is mainly with the bath, its 58.25" long and all the baths I can find are 60" Long, I guess its an odd length. My problem is fitting the new 60" bath in this gap, I guess I will need to move the existing wall slightly and the plumbing for the bath so I can squeeze the new one in? I will also be replacing the drywall with wonderboard, any tips on this?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Can you alter the wall at the other end (away from the plumbing end) of the tub? The drain may still not match perfectly but moving water and drainage can be a royal pain.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you mean, its an external wall but I may be able to make some room at that end, its only 1.75". I have not demo'd yet so when I do I will see how large the space is with the bathtub removed as there may or may not be any drywall flush to the tub. Is it advisable to wonderboard below the bathtub as well?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Normally, the space under and around the tub are open (with the exception of a mortar bed if using an acrylic tub). I have seen people insulate this area but no solid material is needed. The wall material goes over the tub flange and ends there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I did not think that you had to place any board below the flange but thought it best to double check. I guess once its out I can determine if the wall can be pushed back a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts