DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I ordered a nice bathtub faucet and handle on Amazon and really love the look. When trying to install the faucet came with its own valve body... from my understanding replacing the valve body with a new brand you have to rip out the wall and redo all piping.. Since I've never worked with plumbing before I did NOT want to go through all that trouble, if you look at the photos attached is there anyway to make this handle work with my existing hardware? I found online a universal cartridge replacement? But it doesn't look like it changes the stem of the valve? My brother said "They are not interchangeable. If you have a delta faucet you buy a kit for a delta and you can change them. But in order to change what you have there you would have to open the wall and connect all the plumbing to a new brand/faucet valve. A price pfister valve can not be changed to a delta or vise versa"
Is there anyway to change my pfister valve stem to a square shape to fit this handle? Any ideas or suggestions? What would be easiest? Do I need to buy a new faucet? If so how do I know it will fit? I have pfister valve in wall)
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
If you have a Pfister rough in valve in the wall, you need a trim from Pfister, one that fits your valve. Off market trims do not always match.
It's like trying to put your left shoe on your right foot.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Hello, I ordered a nice bathtub faucet and handle on Amazon and really love the look. When trying to install the faucet came with its own valve body... from my understanding replacing the valve body with a new brand you have to rip out the wall and redo all piping.. Since I've never worked with plumbing before I did NOT want to go through all that trouble, if you look at the photos attached is there anyway to make this handle work with my existing hardware? I found online a universal cartridge replacement? But it doesn't look like it changes the stem of the valve? My brother said "They are not interchangeable. If you have a delta faucet you buy a kit for a delta and you can change them. But in order to change what you have there you would have to open the wall and connect all the plumbing to a new brand/faucet valve. A price pfister valve can not be changed to a delta or vise versa"
Is there anyway to change my pfister valve stem to a square shape to fit this handle? Any ideas or suggestions? What would be easiest? Do I need to buy a new faucet? If so how do I know it will fit? I have pfister valve in wall)
Thank you!
Your brother is right. It won't work unless you want to go through all that hassle and change it all out. If not, return it and get your money back.

Whatever brand you have there right now, go to their website and get an upgrade trim kit for your model. Most manufactures make them available for people who want to upgrade to a newer style trim. You may not like it, but it will work with what you have or just leave it alone. Your call. Just a suggestion.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,583 Posts
If you're going to keep it - consider getting at it from the wall behind the shower - perhaps it's a closet that won't show repaired sheetrock after the valve body changeout? (If a closet, you could remove a section of sheetrock and then simply use a spring-loaded access panel <$20 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
If you're going to keep it - consider getting at it from the wall behind the shower - perhaps it's a closet that won't show repaired sheetrock after the valve body changeout? (If a closet, you could remove a section of sheetrock and then simply use a spring-loaded access panel <$20 at Home Depot.

this ^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.