DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We bought a house last year with 2 bathrooms of which 1 was only partially finished.
It has since been finished and is used every day. The second bathroom gets used a few times a month only.

Since we moved in we have noticed that sometimes there is a strong sewer smell in both bathrooms (at the same time). This occurs very irregular, sometimes a few days in a row, sometimes nothing for months.
I've tried to figure out if the weather has anything to do with it but it also seems none related, summer or winter, rain or sun, no specific influence.

Has anybody heard of something similar or any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Hello,

We bought a house last year with 2 bathrooms of which 1 was only partially finished.
It has since been finished and is used every day. The second bathroom gets used a few times a month only.

Since we moved in we have noticed that sometimes there is a strong sewer smell in both bathrooms (at the same time). This occurs very irregular, sometimes a few days in a row, sometimes nothing for months.
I've tried to figure out if the weather has anything to do with it but it also seems none related, summer or winter, rain or sun, no specific influence.

Has anybody heard of something similar or any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Yes, I've had an identical intermittent sewer smell problem minus the simultaneous second toilet. The toilet flange height was corrected and problem solved.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Like fairview mentioned---check the toilet connections first---
then ,if that fails, you might be best served to call in a plumber to smoke test the piping and vents----

If the work was left unfinished---then completed by someone other than the original worker---a pipe(vent) may have been left open---

You will spend lot of time and destroyed drywall tracking down that problem---a plumber may be able to save you money---Just a thought--

1 - 3 of 3 Posts