DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Parker CO and about to start finishing my basement. I will be putting a bathroom down there with a toilet, sink, and custom shower. Our code (2013 IRC) states that i need either an exhaust fan or a window for venting.

My question is which is more cost effective?

I have 3 other bathrooms that have the window and no fan. Would it be harder to install a vent since there isn't one to tie into?

If the window is a better way to go, what are the requirements for the window/window well on the exterior wall? (if any)

Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Install a vent----drill a hole to the outside of the house----

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a specific type of material/piping that i have to use?

How do i determine what size fan i need?

·
Bill Kearney
2,003 Posts
A fan with a timer that'll let it run for a while after your done is a good idea. That way moisture doesn't get left down in a basement bath, contributing to mold/mildew issues. Most fan vendor websites have some sort of calculation you can do to determine the recommended CFM size. Don't forget noise. I hate fan noise and went with some in-line duct fans from Fantech. They're a bit more expensive but the peace and quiet is worth it. Most fans call for a 4" duct. Just make sure wherever you're venting it out is appropriate. As in, not close to a gas line, exhaust for a furnace or water heater, or in a place where the moist air would cause problems (like tight under something else that would have a problem with moisture).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking the best place to vent would be out the side of the house to the left of the window. Is there a code for how many feet the exhaust fan vent needs to be away from any window so the moisture/air doesnt return back into the basement?

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts