DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to tile the bathroom wall around the tub/shower. It will have cement backer on the lower part and the upper part has plaster. I am wondering how to:

make the upper part (see photo) even (patch it? remove more layers?)
How to make sure that the two parts have a smooth transition?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If the levels are very close, you could skim coat it with drywall compound and sand smooth. What kind of plaster, wood lath or rocklath??? I would be inclined to tear it out and install greenboard for that area. Overlap the tile on the greenboard(plaster) slightly.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Agree with Bill, that looks like a pain to smooth out and get even with the bottom.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how about...

how about if we add a 1/4 inch cement backer board that goes over the bottom and all the way on the top?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the levels are very close, you could skim coat it with drywall compound and sand smooth. What kind of plaster, wood lath or rocklath??? I would be inclined to tear it out and install greenboard for that area. Overlap the tile on the greenboard(plaster) slightly.
Its wood lath. The house was built in 1924. Could I install tile over the plaster base?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Its wood lath. The house was built in 1924. Could I install tile over the plaster base?
It depends on a few things.
1 How level is the wall?
-Plaster is notoriously curved in the corners
2. Where is the wall? Shower, then no.
3. How much tiling have you done?
-Can you compensate for the inconsistancies in the wall?
4. Is the plaster all keyed to the lath?
Short answer would be no, I don't think you should tile over plaster.
I know I wouldn't.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on a few things.
1 How level is the wall?
-Plaster is notoriously curved in the corners

Its pretty level

2. Where is the wall? Shower, then no.

in the shower but starting at 3 feet above the tub

3. How much tiling have you done?
-Can you compensate for the inconsistancies in the wall?

no tiling has been done

4. Is the plaster all keyed to the lath?
Short answer would be no, I don't think you should tile over plaster.
I know I wouldn't.
Ron

Yes it is keyed to the lath.

I'll take that as a no, bad idea. I was thinking I could put the tile on the brown coat.

How can I make the backer level with the plaster where the tile will meet it? the plaster is a bit thicker.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Attach pieces of wood to each stud so it bumps the wall out a bit. When you put on the backerboard, make sure it projects past the plaster a bit(up to 1/8" can by leveled out with compound).
You need to level out the plaster first, then shim out the wall to that build up.
Ron

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You need to remove all the plaster out of the tub area. You need to insulate the exterior walls.
What you are planning is both a waste of time and money.
Ron

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
You need to remove all the plaster out of the tub area. You need to insulate the exterior walls.
What you are planning is both a waste of time and money.
Ron
Yup!
Any other approach would be a waste.:yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
answer to siding question

Is that siding covering the window?
it's the siding from the neighbour's place. Houses in San Francisco are always close to each other like this. It's the only window in that bathroom and as you can see, it's lame. We'd like to put a skylight to get more natural light too but that's probably expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts