DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new vanity, the chemical smell is strong coming from it. Put a air purifier in room also a space heater hoping to speed up the drying process of the chemicals they use to paint and construct. Also ceiling exhaust fan going. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how long it takes for the off gassing to end?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a new vanity, the chemical smell is strong coming from it. Put a air purifier in room also a space heater hoping to speed up the drying process of the chemicals they use to paint and construct. Also ceiling exhaust fan going. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how long it takes for the off gassing to end?
https://www.nontoxicliving.tips/blog/light-headed-or-foggy-but-don-t-know-why

Most furniture 'finishes' reach full cure in less than a month.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
MDF (wood dust board) mainly used for cabinet making is treated with chemicals. I think it's some kind of preservative. There were issues with these kinds of chemicals, esp made in china. If paint, it may end soon. If the preservative in boards, may last a while. I haven't read about it extensively but people seem to react differently to these chemicals. If the smell bothers you a lot, I would return the vanity. The preservative chemicals are in every man made building materials. Just depends on what chemical and how much and, I guess, how quickly they were delivered to the stores. I bought my furnitures from either ikea or homedepot. Floorings usually from big box stores. I haven't had smell problems with them but such problems exist and verified. Engineered flooring, example, sold by lumberliquidators and homedepot, and made in china, was flagged for too high amount of such chemicals. Effect on person's body depends on the person.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Its glue in the boards, not preservatives.

MDF commonly uses urea-formaldehyde glue (resin). But vanity is likely particle board, not MDF. Still amino-formaldehyde glue is commonly used in particle board. Suppose its possible the glue is not fully cured (could be a bad batch), but more likely its the finish you are smelling is my guess. I have never been able to smell off-gassing from new furniture, but suppose its possible. I would just be speculating to guess how long it will take for smell to go away, but a while back I used some Benjamin Moore Advance on the inside of a cabinet, and it took maybe 6 months for smell to disappear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, and that's our thought too that it is the finish "paint" it is starting to diminish but still there a bit. When cooling room down not quite as strong using heat to get it to dry quicker. Washed it down with vinegar water seemed to have taken away the strongest odor also used coffee grounds for absorbing and carbon packets. Cabinet weighs about 350 lbs. Took 4 guys to bring in so not thinking it would be easy to take back out. Gonna give it some more time if not well guess we'll have to reconsider choice. The cabinet was ordered from home depot's home collection # Avanity is the brand. Have bought cabinets from home depot before never had this come up. Probably can't return we had to put drain lines and water lines in the bottom #also painted the edges where holes were drilled. Just in case smell was coming from the drill holes but still have the smell.
Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The off-gassing odor strength varies among models, but you can expect it to dissipate within the first two weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.