DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I'm having a problem with a leak coming from the third floor into the second floor linen closet in a 3 flat building. The third floor bath pipes are accessed from the linen closet behind the tub.

The flow into the second floor linen closet can be slight or at times gushing. I found some very minor drips coming from the hot & cold handles & even though I'll need to fix that, I can't believe that's the cause of the gushing water

I followed the discharge pipe & found the trap under the floor. The bottom of the trap was wet & the cover was so corroded it didn't screw on tight. The trap itself was pretty dirty but not packed with gunk, which I cleaned out

My question is, if the cover isn't tight, will the discharge water rise up & overflow? If so, will it overflow only because of crap & gunk clogging it up or will a clean trap overflow as well without a sealed cover?

Thanks for any help

·
Experienced
2,976 Posts
Where theres a hole water will go.

A loose cover? cleanout? needs to be sealed regardless of clean or dirty.

Mark

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That sounds like an old barrel trap----Must be 50 years old or more.

If you can't get a lid to seal it may be time to replace that with a more modern P-trap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses

Yeah, it's an old building, built in the 20's. The trap cover is extremely thin with a few threads about 1/3 of the way in off the side of the circle cover. Pretty Mickey Mouse really, not like other larger & thicker ones I've seen. I don't want to replace the trap so I'm hoping I can find another cover that will work & just seal it properly

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
See of a plastic one will work.

Also , the threads in the barrel are probably crusted with rust--cleaning out the threads will help--if you can reach the barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts